View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:16 am 
I've been trying to install R5B7 all morning, and hit several speedbumps along the way. This is more by way of a bug report than anything else, but I'm posting it here because perhaps somebody will be able to help me work around them, if I don't fix it myself first.

First, my USB keyboard works at the boot: prompt, but then craps out when the Knoppmyth menu comes up. Usually, unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes this, but sometimes not. Hotplug problem?

Second, under manual install, when I get everything set up and I go past the screen where it shows the chosen options (basically, saying "yes" after Start Install), it starts to format the root partition in EXT3, then mkfs errors out with a usage message. I think the script must be messing up the mkfs syntax, but I'm not sure how. I'm too lazy to strace it :)

Third, and this is the real killer, I've had a problem pretty similar to this:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6623
Some part of the configuration script is writing a lilo.conf with part: on the first two lines, pointing to the two partitions of my primary slave (Windows) hard drive. I tried the fix in the above topic (mount, chroot, edito lilo.conf, run lilo) but the lilo command failed saying it could not write to /dev/hda. Obviously, the mount command (mount /mnt/hda1) worked fine, so I'm a bit confused why lilo crapped out.

I'm going back through the auto install now with the second drive disconnected, and it looks like that should fix things, but I really would have preferred manual. The above two errors kept me from doing so -- any ideas why?

If it has any bearing, the hardware is:

Gigabyte GA-7IXE MB
Athlon 850 (slot a)
512 MB crucial RAM (forget what model)
HDA: 80GB
HDB: 60GB (currently disconnected)

I don't think any of the rest would matter, probably. Oh, except: PS2 keybaord, because my USB one kept getting dropped by hotplug :x

UPDATE: The auto install worked, though I'm probably going to have to play with GParted because I don't want a separate myth partition -- the recordings are going to reside on a smb share, so I want the whole local drive to be dedicated to root. Now, if somebody can just help me import my old SQL...

FOLLOW-ON UPDATE: I renamed the /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg directory, and replaced it with the one from my old system. I *think* after a reboot, mythbackend auto-upgraded it to the current schema, and everything *seems* to be peachy. If I'm being naieve about this, please somebody let me know.