View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Slow installation R5C7
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:21 pm 
Hi,
This is my first (well second) installation of KnoppMyth, Installed yesterday onto a 6Gb drive, using a PIII 800 with 384Mb RAM and a 32x CDRom drive, the install took over 90 minutes :(

Once I realised a 6Gb drive wasn't much use (lots of "no space left on device" errors) I fished out my 120Gb drive, currently 45 minutes into the install and I'm at 30% copying files...

0-24% goes really quickly, possibly 1-2 minutes, once it hits 24% it sits there all day, but gets there eventually.

Does anyone have any ideas ? What's it actually doing at this point ? (other than the obvious)

I've tried ripping the CD back using that same CD rom drive, just to check the disk is readable, and I get around 7 minutes... so I'm not getting any read errors

Once I've got if going, I'll post my findings, AverMedia DVB-T card, which I've heard is a bit hard to get runnning, but what the hey, I'm fairly competant in linux, and not averse to kernel recompiling :)

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:59 pm 
Hi matthewrwright,

I have run into the slow once or twice also, never worried it beyond.

Did you do an auto install on the 120?

If you want to play, make two partitions on the 6gig, 5.5gig for / and .512gig for swap. Manually mkswap and enable it. Then reboot and do an auto upgrade. It should go ok, but don't do tv with the limited space.

To get tv, follow the pamphlet, make a second drive formatted for /myth, mount it as a temp, cp -a /myth/* to the temp, fix the fstab to show it as /myth remount and should work :)

the auto upgrade makes a /myth folder if it can't find a /myth partition and therefore will install. The 6gig runs out of inodes in the /myth partition and the is the reason for the failure if auto install.

Have a great day!
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:59 pm 
Tell us all you hardware details. What chipset does your motherboard use? Is your cd-rom drive and the hard drive on the same ide cable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:36 pm 
Thanks for the replies guys :) I did an autoinstall on the 120, took a long time still, worked perfectly once it was on ...

My HDD and CDRom are on different cables, both 80pin ATA cables, running on an Intel 440 board.

Now it's up and running, I seriously can't fault the system :) Loadaverage of 0.38 copying a 16:9 stream down to the hard drive, dropping to around 0.12 once it was underway, and it's only a PIII 800, I'm surprised it does that well.

Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:38 pm 
I would strongly suspect a bad burn. To check boot from the CD again and add the "testcd" option to the boot command. E.g. "tv testcd" If it doesn't test clean, I urge you to burn a new CD and either reinstall or upgrade, otherwise you might have other mysterious problems later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:03 pm 
I'll give it a go later on :) it's currently recording BBC Three ;)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:27 pm 
Hi Guys. I agree with the bad burn post. I found that it was taking ages between 55% onwards, so I burnt another CD and it was done in minutes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:12 pm 
Same thing just happened to me. I used
Code:
knoppix testcd
at bootup and got bad checksums, reburned. The new disk had no checksum errors and installation went fine the second time.