CPU: P4 2.8 Prescott
MB: Intel D865PERL
RAM: 512MB DDR400
Video Card: FX5200
TV Card: Dvico Fusion 3
Audio: SB Live!
HDD: SATA Hitachi 250GB
NIC: Intel Pro100

I have an SATA drive so I have to run a Manual Install. I am using these instructions: http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html#manualinstall

According to the install instructions the correct mounting should be:
/dev/sda1 = /
/dev/sda2 = swap
/dev/sda3 = /cache
/dev/sda4 = /myth

However after installation completes I get this mounting:
/dev/sda1 = /
/dev/sda2 = swap
/dev/sda3 = /myth <------huh?
/dev/sda4 = not mounted, however it does exist. <---What?!

CFDISK even shows my partition labels as getting swaped (i.e. SDA3 becomes "myth" and sda4 becomes "cache"). I know I am not crazy because I've reinstalled 3 times thinking maybe I mixed up the hand typed formatting commands (the bold "Note:" section under Manual Install instructions)

Why might my cache partition (/dev/sda3) get mounted as /myth? I must be doing something wrong. The only thing I can think is the question during install "Which parition do you want to install Knoppmyth on". That question is not addressed in the instructions so I just selected /dev/sda1. Any ideas?

My partition sizes are as follows:
/dev/sda1 = 10GB
/dev/sda2 = 1.5GB
/dev/sda3 = 40GB
/dev/sda4 = 198GB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:41 am 
I think I found the answer after searching this forum.

Cecil wrote:
Swap is RAM x 1.5, /cache is based on drive size. In the next release, there will not be a /cache as MythTV no longer uses the ringbuffer.

I think that means /cache is obsolete from now on. I am going to reinstall with the following mount order:
/dev/sda1 = /
/dev/sda2 = swap
/dev/sda3 = myth

Note: cache is now gone.

Can someone confirm is this is the correct assessment of Cecil's quote?

Thanks,
Nate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:43 am 
cache has been deprecated in the latest version mythtv.

merge sda3 and sda4 and you should be in business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:36 pm 
Hi,

Auto install sets up the partitions to a formula that cesman created or at least enhanced. The R5C7 does not use a cache per-se but use the /myth/tv and actually does a record any time you are in the watching mode. What is nice about that is that later you can go back and keep that show that you missed, or if you catch the tail end and decide that might be something to watch, pressing R starts the recording from the begining of the show if in the tv view mode. It requires some playing to get the full feel.

With the very large drive that you have, I would suggest a possible lay out of this:
5 gig for sda1 /
.5gig for sda2 /swap
6gig for sda3 /edubuntu (great even without kids)
rest for sda4 /myth

Here is the fun part, use the live 6.06 ubuntu to do your partitions, yes you can format them also and labels too. then reboot, pop in the R5C7 and do an auto UPGRADE. This installs the KM (sda1) should pick up the swap. You manually have to do lilo -v but check the mapping first of /etc/fstab. (may have to mount and then chroot to sda1 first)

mount -o rw,dev /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
chroot /mnt/sda1
ctl d when done

After lilo -v is run and you are sure it installed, reboot Don't even think of trying to watch tv, yet. Sitting at the setup login, do an alt x then df -h You should see / . Switch to super user, su - and login in as root, you need the power

You will need to reformat the large partition for the larger sized storeage blocks recommended for the mpg recordings. Follow the "Pamphlet"

After the reformat, check /etc/fstab to see where sda4 would be mounted. for now /mnt/sda4 is good, (/mnt/sda4 may be there if not mkdir /mnt/sda4 then mount /mnt/sda4), cp -r /myth/* to the mounted temp location. Unmount it, change /etc/fstab to make sda4 /myth then mount /myth Do a df -h to confirm. do ls -al and be sure /myth is owned by myth. Ownership is very important.
Also /myth should be ext3 & auto so it will be there after reboot.

If you have / & /myth you should be able to log in and procede.

After all is good to go and you have rebooted and all still is good to go, you could reboot the live edubuntu and do an install to have dual boot. It will pick up your KM nicely.

Or just keep the 6gig partition as a spare for a while, maybe music? You could always use it to save a backup of your operating and tweaked KM :)

All depends on the overall plan you may have, PVR only or maybe you have to do some work using the same box...

I don't think I left out very much, but try to read the syntax carefully for typos. About the only time I boot into ubuntu is when I have stuff to print and because it is linux, it can play the recordings there also with xine, xmms.

It is great learning tool! Enjoy.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:19 pm 
Thanks so much! Im am enjoying knoppmyth and mythtv. With your guys help I have got everything up and running smoothy. I have some more problems to solve (Commercial DVD playback, Digital audio, TV-out) but I have HDTV/Digital TV running strong. Thanks again, I love this product!

-Nate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:31 pm 
Hi getnate,

Curious as to your final partition lay out. Happy to hear that you were armed with adequate information to get your KM up and running :)

Have a great day!
Mike