View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:48 pm 
Hi,

I've been running R5 Beta 7 for a few months; I saw the new release.

Can I simply put the burnt CD in the drive, and do an auto-upgrade?

I attempted it, but its asking for host name etc, and wants to erase /dev/hda1?

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:43 pm 
Start with the auto upgrade instructions in the Pamphlet - http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html#autoupgrade

An upgrade is essentially an install that leaves your /myth partition alone and restores from your backup there. Note that You must do a backup first! (Assuming that you want the upgrade to work properly. ;-))

Also see my "Hints for upgrading to R5C7" posting for a number of suggestions to make upgrading easier and more successful.

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited by tjc on Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:38 pm 
Hi,

You don't really have to do a backup HOWEVER; if you don't you will probably have a flat spot in your forehead where you smack yourself for not having done a backup. You will loose all your settings, the tv recordings will become guardians of the state (orphans) and you create a lot of extra work for yourself :)

tjc has posted suggestions for some extra files you may want to save also so it would be worth checking the past couple of weeks of forum enteries. . A memory stick is a big help so you can make two copies of everthing.

I believe there is some guidence posted on Xsecret's wiki also.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:49 pm 
mjl wrote:
I believe there is some guidence posted on Xsecret's wiki also.

Just updated to match current versions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:32 pm 
Ok upgraded tonight, thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:45 pm 
Before I ask my question, I thought a little background on my system and my current state of knoppmything would be helpful.

I "broke" my system by leaving watch live tv running all night. I managed to clear enough log files that I can open the frontend, but all of my recordings are gone. The only modification I made to my recent install of R5B7 was to update some codecs that mencoder uses and to get my pvr350 working. Up until I overloaded my system I was working on getting the irblaster to work and wasn't having a ton of luck. Right now when I make selections in mythfrontend I get long pauses before either coming back to the same screen or implementing the selection.

Given all this, my question is ... Should I even bother with an auto-upgrade or should I just do a clean install and hope for the best? I have been running video and sound out through the pvr350 (mostly because I wouldn't have a clue how to route the sound to the sound card AND I don't see an svideo plug anywhere).

My question probably isn't as simple as I would like it to be, but I'm hoping the answer will be to do a clean install. At this point I haven't started to trouble shoot the problems I am having now and would rather not have to.

Thanks for any insight anyone can add.

My hardware is
Motherboard MSI 865GM2-LS m-atx 4 DIMMs w/DDR400 upto 4gb 1 AGP 8X; 3PCI: 8USB 6ch. Audio; 10/100 LAN; SATA; ATA100; Onboard Intel Graphics. http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_sp ... S&class=mb

*CASE Cooler Master ATC-620C-BX1 MicroATX case with Dual USB ports and IEEE 1394 port. P4 ready. Designed for HTPC.

*CPU Intel Pentium IV 2.8Ghz with 1mb L2 Cache and 800FSB.

*Memory 1gb (2 512mb sticks) Corsair Value Select VS512MB400 PC3200.

*DVD - + RW Lite-On SOHW1693S DVD+-RW Drive 48x read, 48 write, 24x rewrite, 24x DVD Read, 16x write, 8x rewrite. (black)

*DVD Asus DVDE616P1 DVD-ROM 16x dvd-rom, 48x cd-rom. (black)

*Hard Drive Seagate 200GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM 8MB Cache 3.5in

*Power Supply Seasonic SS-300FB 300 watt Active PFC Super 300 Tornade, large fan

*Floppy Teac 1.44mb floppy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:25 pm 
Hi buckarette,

R5B7 had a carry over from the A series that would over time possibly cause problems. The A series saved the files as .nuv. A script called mythlink.sh would monitor the database and the /myth/tv for matches, house keeping :) and if there was an entry in the database with no matching entry in /myth/tv it would then would create one. This allowed for you, the user, to be able to delete it properly.

Now that you have some history, it may help make sense of the next part. The R5B7 saves the recordings as .mpg. Yep, the mythlink.sh script in doing what is right, sees the missing recordings that are in the db and creates the dummy file. One for each recording you have ever done.

If you have been running for a while, there could be several hundred + and eating away at valuable storage space markers (inodes). If you were to open a terminal, alt x and enter df -h at the prompt, then do df -i and you will probably see things are about full. If /myth gets full it then generates an error log which will also fill the / root partition.

If you do $ ls /myth/tv/*.nuv there will probably be a lot of them. You should be able to remove them with $ rm -rf /myth/tv/*.nuv Be very careful with the typing..

Let us know what you see before proceding too far. I don't believe an upgrade would fix anything at this point. It would most likely require an install. You should be able to save your settings with a usb memory stick if you choose to install R5C7. I would suggest fix R5B7, backup system and then upgrade. All simply depends on what you consider valueable.

Looks like decent hardware, you probably rarely will use the floppy.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:16 pm 
Hi Mike,

Thanks for responding. I had already removed all of my .nuv files and actually wiped out my .mpg files as well. I didn't have anything that I was terribly attached to. I have only had R5B7 working for about a month. I had previously used the df command as well as the du command. On another post I found a method for clearing my log files (> logfile.name) so I was able to get my dev/hda1 down to about 50% use. Currently my mythbackend.log file is growing at an alarming rate.

This is the results of the df -h and df -i commands respectively:
mythtv@mythtv:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 4.7G 3.4G 996M 78% /
/dev/hda3 182G 19G 163G 11% /myth
mythtv@mythtv:~$ df -i
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 500992 122448 378544 25% /
/dev/hda3 46400 863 45537 2% /myth

Below are the last few lines of the mythbackend.log file. I am thinking that the problem lies with the mysql database and am considering removing it altogether and recreating it (I found a nice little description of how to do this and other than having to run mythfilldatabase again, I don't see a downside. The other potential problem is that I deleted recorded.MYI and shouldn't have, but I have no idea where to recreate that file or what should be in it.

2006-06-10 22:10:25.865 DB Error (insert_program -- lock):
Query was:
LOCK TABLES recorded WRITE
Driver error was [2/1016]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recorded.MYI'. (errno: 145)

2006-06-10 22:10:25.875 DB Error (insert_program -- lock):
Query was:
LOCK TABLES recorded WRITE
Driver error was [2/1016]:
QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Can't open file: 'recorded.MYI'. (errno: 145)

If I am able to get R5B7 working, when I upgrade to R5C7 will the irblaster mysteriously work out of the box? Or will the modifications I have made in R5B7 be retained instead of the new irblaster functionality in R5C7.

Thanks so much for your help.
Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:53 pm 
Hi buckarette,

Julie, hate to tell you this however, at this point I think it would be best for an auto install of R5C7. IF you had done a recent backup, you might be able to do a restore to recover the database but it will probably have junk in it.

Space looks good so your clean up worked in general. Had things still been hanging there would have been a 0 or two which is a bad thing.

If you were to (as root) mkdir /floppy
you could use it to copy some of your tweaks off the system before the install.

mount /floppy
cp /your/path/to/files/you/want /floppy
or a directory
cp -r /your/path/to/files/you/want /floppy
umount /floppy
Put in the R5C7 cd and hit the reset button. No need to be gentle as it is A fresh start :)
R5C7 is real nice, cesman and his team did a great job but I don't know if irblaster is good to go out of the box.

tjc has some real good pointers for backing up files and other hints, may want to check Xsecrets wiki also.

Let us know how it goes?
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:43 pm 
The main reason to do an upgrade is to save your exisiting content. If you've already blown that away, a fresh install makes perfect sense. R5C7 also has several improvements in exactly the areas you were having difficulties (e.g - ir blaster and pvr-350 setup). You might still want to make a backup as suggested in the R5C7 upgrade hints and save a copy on another machine. That way you'll have a reference for any config files you had to customize.

OBTW - Two CD/DVD drives will confuse the cd_link.sh script. This usually means you'll end up having to doing some setup there by hand. However it's a very simple script so it should be fairly obvious what to do. You'll probably want to split the logical dvd entry into "dvdrom" for reading and "dvdrw" for writing. Just make sure that they both have the right group ownership and create the links.