View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: SATA Drives
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:38 pm 
I have a motherboard that only does RAID for SATA drives. I have been reading around, and it seems that the newest build of knoppmyth has full support of SATA drives. Is this true? I just don’t want to build a system and go through a bunch of problem solving to get it to work.

From what I can tell, I would have to do a manual install with a SATA drive. Is that something I should b afraid of if I am a total noob?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:06 am 
SATA is does require manual install. Not sure how the required RAID will work out. Here is a quick modified howto from the KM manual.

Quote:
Currently if you have an SATA drive, you must use Manual Install. You will see two options 1. Partition and 2. Quit, on a new drive or a drive with an invalid partition table. If you see six options, KnoppMyth recognizes the partition table. Either way, you must partition the drive. Select partition and create 3 partitions using cfdisk. The first will be /, the second swap, the third /myth. I recommend 5 gigs for /, swap should be 1.5 times memory. Use the rest of the drive for /myth. Ensure /dev/xda1 is bootable, write the partition table and quit cfdisk. Once the partitions have been created, press <CTRL><ALT><F2>. mkswap /dev/xda2 && swapon /dev/xda2. Format /dev/xda3 with the desired filesystem type. Once complete <CTRL><ALT><F1> and return to the installation.

Note: During the making of partitions, you can choose any fstype you wish, ext2 is recommended for the data (xda3).

# mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L myth -M /myth /dev/xda3
(I highly recommend a journalling fs for /dev/xda3).

You should now see six option. Choose 4. Load config. You should now see /KNOPPIX/knoppmyth. Press <ENTER>. If you have an SATA drive, change this to /KNOPPIX/knoppmyth-sata and press <ENTER>. Next, choose 1. Configure Installation. Provided the requested information. Don't create a user called "mythtv", this user has already been created with a password of "mythtv". Once back to the main menu, select 2. Start installation. Verify the information and sit back. Once complete, reboot the system. After the system reboots it will start X and KnoppMyth will open an Xterm and ask for the root password. See post installation.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9141

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:10 pm 
Hi,
Where you see xda be sure to change to sda for your serial.

You want ext3 for root & myth. The install should make the root properly. The mkswap takes care of it's own.

I don't think you want Raid, and there should be some sort of cmos setting to turn it off.

Serial is a few extra steps however works fine once you have it setup. Note that the install will be complete and leave you with a fully operational system. However, everything is going to go to the / partition. After you have built your /myth partition, mount it into a temp area first. less /etc/fstab to see where /dev/sda3 (assuming) is mounted as default, /mnt/sda3 maybe. Once mounted, do as root, cp -a /myth/* /mnt/sda3/ when finished the copy, umount /mnt/sda? and edit the fstab to be /myth and remove the noauto (leaving the auto). After saving do mount /myth and continue :)

Mike