View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:09 am 
after 2 weeks of banging my head against a Red Hat install of myth-tv, i decided to give knoppmyth a try. to its credit, the auto-install went fairly smoothly and i was able to watch live tv (albiet without sound). some problems/concerns however:

1) i have two hard drives in the box and auto-install put everything on just one of the drives. i presume i can rectify this through a manual install. anything i should know before i do so?

2) my audio card is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (snd cs46xx) card which was a bitch to get working correctly under the Red Hat install. has anyone gotten knoppmyth working with a TBSC? as i mentioned, my sound was NOT working, but i admit i have yet to try unmuting using alsamixer. (duh)

3) my vid capture card is a Pinnacle PCTV Pro and my video card is a PNY Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4400. TV-Out looks decent but about 75% of the channels look like their scrambled (mostly the cable channels)- any idea why?

4) the docs say lirc is compiled to work with the hauppauge remotes. i have the little white pinnacle remote. do i have to recompile lirc? run irxevent? or is it just a matter of having the correct lircd.conf file in there?

great project btw guys, thanks for all the hard work.

sleepy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:44 am 
1) Auto install will only touch hda. Nothing to know... I guess that depends on the size of the drives and how you want to set them up. You could also try LVM.

2)?

3)/usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST

4)the source of LIRC is under /usr/src. Untar and recompile. Untar remotes.tar.gz(maybe bz2 not at my boxen...). If there is a file there for your Pinnacle, cp to /etc/ as lircd.conf. You're must likely have to edit /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc to get it working 100% w/ your remote. If/when you do so, send it to me and I'll include it w/ future releases.

Thank you and you're welcome.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:26 pm 
Quote:
1) Auto install will only touch hda. Nothing to know... I guess that depends on the size of the drives and how you want to set them up. You could also try LVM.

so there is no easy way to set it up on two drives through the knoppmyth manual install? one drive is 80gb and the other is 60gb. i'd be perfectly happy using the 80gb drive for myth and the 60gb to hold various video and audio files. so can i set up the 60gb drive after the mythtv install on the 80gb? (i know just enough about linux to hurt myself).

Quote:
3)/usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST

okay, my pinnacle pro : card=52. do i need to add this information somewhere? i've been through modules.conf which doesn't look much like the modules.conf i've seen through mucking about with the RH/myth install. if not here, where do i put this information?

Quote:
4)the source of LIRC is under /usr/src. Untar and recompile. Untar remotes.tar.gz(maybe bz2 not at my boxen...). If there is a file there for your Pinnacle, cp to /etc/ as lircd.conf. You're must likely have to edit /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc to get it working 100% w/ your remote. If/when you do so, send it to me and I'll include it w/ future releases.

in previous attempts, i was able to get lirc working for my pinnacle remote under the 0.6.6 release as "lirc_serial." i tried recompiling the lirc in /usr/src for my remote- but it failed on the make install because lirc was already there. not knowing any better, i deleted lirc and reran make install. it worked this time, but in modules.conf it was set to "lirc_i2o" (or something similar). i changed it to "lirc_serial" and ran a modprobe, but modprobe couldn't find "lirc_serial." to make a long story short, it didn't work. is there something special that i need to do in order to recompile the 7.0pre version to work with the pinnacle?

i apologize if i'm not making any sense- as i said, i know just enough about linux to be dangerous (but i'm trying to learn :) )

thanks in advance,

sleepy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:26 pm 
sleepymyth wrote:
Quote:
okay, my pinnacle pro : card=52. do i need to add this information somewhere? i've been through modules.conf which doesn't look much like the modules.conf i've seen through mucking about with the RH/myth install. if not here, where do i put this information?
Check out this thread.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=71

I just used the information he supplied and changed the card number accordingly.