View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Install weirdness...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:19 pm 
Hi all

I just prepared the machine that I'll be doing my pilot run with but there seems to be a problem.

Tha machine is an IBM x200 eSeries server with 1x 18.6GB 160 SCSI drive and 1x 40GB Segate Barracuda IDE drive, nVidia FX5200 AGP and SBLive! 5.1 sound card.

During bootup from the CD it does all the thngs it needs to do - detects the SCSI drive, detects the CD drive and HDD (hda & hdb) but just hangs on the line:

"Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab entries...."

Has anyone any ideas of what the problem could be?

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:49 pm 
You need to do a manual install if you're trying to install to a SCSI or SATA drive. This is cover in the Phamplet. http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html#manualinstall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:56 pm 
Aha! Thanks for that....RTFM as they say :)

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:37 pm 
Okee Dokee, not happening

The options specified in the pamphlet (when booting) don't work. Pressing F2 at the very first splashscreen - the one with boot: at the bottom - I am told to input knoppmyth, expert etc. Entering and booting with ANY of these options still tries to access/create fstab as previously posted. I do not get a menu of any kind. This is with R5C7 iso burnt yesterday.

Is there something wrong with the burnt CD or is there something else I should be looking to do. This machine was previously my server and quite happily accepted SME Server V7.0, Openna Linux , Redhat or anything else I threw at it. All loaded succesfully on the SCSI drive as the primary unit.

Again, any help appreciated

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:26 am 
Well, it looks like R5C7 doesn't like me. Absolutely no go with this version. I dug out an old R5A16 CD I had an got it to boot fine. 2 Things I noticed:

C7 seemed to have a problem with SCSI, A16 didn't. C5 found it but popped up extra messages related to the SCSI driver. A16 just found it and continued. C5 will not go past the fstab line, A16 sailed past and offered a menu

The SCSI card in this machine is a Adaptec Fast/Wide 29160LP capable of 160Mb per second (this WAS an original IBM server after all :) ) and C7 does not seem to like it...

Shame really, no Myth for me....

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:08 am 
OK, got some more info:

When C7 boots it discovers the SCSI and loads the following:

aic7xxx_CAUTION.0
buslogic.o
tmscs(?something).o
megaraid_CAUTION.o
a100u2w_CAUTION.o

With these it won't go past the fstab bit....

When A16 boots it too discovers the SCSI and only loads the following:
buslogic.o
tmscs(?something).o

and DOES contunue the boot and ends up at the menu...

Does that stir anything in anyone?

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:52 am 
Hi,

If you can, pull an iso of the B7, it isn't as up the tweak level of C7 but should work amost as well. That may give the guys in the know a narrower area to help figure out what is needed / not needed.

I haven't seen very many scsi installs so your information I would think is valuable to all in a simular situation.

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:25 am 
Yup, just tried B7 - same thing.

I did notice on the B/C7 CD's under the boot/isolinux directory there is a scsi file. Inside this file is listed a whole lot of .o files inclduing the ones that display for my card. However, on the A CD, no scsi file exists in the same directory, yet the CD will fire up and still recognise the SCSI bits...

I have been trying to figure out how to extract the contents of the ISO file, remove the scsi file, make another ISO and try out the resulting CD. If I figure it out, I'll let you know the results :)

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:27 am 
More on my install saga

I decided to try out R5A16 and went ahead and did the install. I followed the instruction at http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?id=KnoppMythInstall to the letter, including doing the custom config file and mapping my drives as suggested. Everything seemed to go well. That was until I rebooted.

Even though everything was telling me that lilo was going to be the bootloader, when the machine started is got these errors:

Boot from ATAPI CDROM : Failure ......
GRUB Loading Stage 1.5.

GRUB loading, Please wait
Error 22

My partition config was as follows:

sda1 mounted on / - 2.5GB - bootable
sda2 swap - 1GB
sda3 mounted on /cache - 13GB
hdb1 mounted on /myth - 39GB

hda is the CD drive....

I am not trying to be difficult, I am just relaying my experiences in trying to install on a machine with the boot drive set to SCSI. The SCSI drive is set to ID #5 which should be telling everything that it is the boot drive.

My real aim is to use R5C7 as, apparently, it has a working tv_grab_au file that access d1.com.au and of course it is the latest version of KnoppMyth.

I will persist for a little longer with this and then, if I can't work it out, take out the SCSI drive. Shame really because I really wanted to use it due to it's speed. At $750.00+ for the drive it would be nice not to shelve it. I am however willing to be a guinea pig for SCSI installs is someone wants....

If anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:26 pm 
Hi speedway,

When you do a manual install, you also have to edit the /etc/lilo.conf and then run lilo -v to install it. Even though it asked you where to put it, it doesn't actually do the task.

You also have to edit the /etc/fstab to set the myth partition and the cache partition.

You can boot from the cd and then #6 quit to get to a prompt:
mount -o rw,dev /dev /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
chroot /mnt/sda1

that will allow you to do what you need to do. ctrl + d to exit then reboot.

If it works, I would try A30 or A30.2 to see if it can boot. It works very well and was the last of the A series. Not sure where grub came from unless you had a version of linux on previous. if so you might be able to build a /boot/grub/menu.lst and not run lilo.

You may also be able to divide the sda3 and do a dual boot with Ubuntu. 13 gig is just a waste for cache, as a matter of fact I used the /myth/tv for my caching on the A series (size of 1) as it is only used when watching live tv.

Mike

My grub menu or at least one of the main parts of menu.lst: only minor tweaks should make it work for you also.
timeout 120

# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
#hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
color cyan/blue white/blue

## ## End Default Options ##
title KnoppMyth R5C7 (on /dev/hda5)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-chw-2 root=/dev/hda5 ro splash=silent apm=power-off nomce noapic
initrd /boot/initrd.gz
savedefault
boot