View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:55 pm 
My box keeps freezing during the installation process. The times it will happen are as such:

- Copying data to the hard drive. Aside from partitioning, I can't get it to transfer any data. It will get either to 20% or 0% and then freeze, depending on whether it has to partition the disk first.

- It will freeze while executing the command: "mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L myth -M /myth /dev/hda4". This mainly happened while I was still unaware that in the version I had, it was unnecessary to create the cache partition.

- Entering runlevel 3 when not in failsafe mode. I can't convince it to get past the initialization of runlevel three outside of failsafe mode, which may be contributing to the writing to disk troubles.

These may have to do with my video card (which I'll have to look at in a moment so I can put specs up here), but it may not.

Specs are:

500MHz PIII Processor
576MB RAM
Noisy-arse Gateway-default CD drive
DVD drive
250 GB WD HDD (Not SATA)
nVidia AGP card of one sort or another (old enough to not have its own heatsink)

Don't you love non-specific specs?

Let me know if you guys need any more information. Thanks in advance. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:27 pm 
Try 'noapic' as a boot option.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:52 pm 
That does get me past the hang entering runlevel 3 outside of failsafe mode, but the installation still freezes while formatting /dev/hda1 as ext3.

Any solutions to that problem?

Thanks for your help, by the way, cesman. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:22 pm 
Nevermind that, it was only random luck getting me past the initialization, not that option. It hasn't worked either time since you suggested it and it worked initially. :(

In addition, I finally got the error that was always popping up at the top of the screen, before the "Welcome to KNOPPIX..." message. It is this: "PCI: Failure to allocate mem resource #6: 100000@f2000000 for 0000:01:00.0" Anyone know anything about that one?

Also, it seems to recognize my video card as a Vanta [NV6], which I'm going to go check for on the lists of evil hardware.

Edit: Okay, it turns out what while it wasn't on the list of evil hardware, it was causing some of the initialization problems. I can now get it to cleanly boot to the install menu. I just popped in another video card I had sitting around and that part works nicely now. However, it still won't write to the hard drive except for the partition table, and I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. Really, I don't know why it would have troubles like that, so I'm totally confused. :oops:

Thanks for your guys' help so far. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:12 pm 
Demosthenes wrote:
However, it still won't write to the hard drive except for the partition table, and I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. Really, I don't know why it would have troubles like that, so I'm totally confused. :oops:
So, what errors do you get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:03 pm 
No errors. What it did was this: I would choose either manual install or automatic install. With manual install, it would freeze at zero percent (trying to format hda1). With automatic install, it would freeze at twenty percent (trying to format hda1 after successfully writing the partition table). Eventually, I gave up, and forgetting to post as much, successfully installed it on another computer I had sitting around.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the trouble.

I still wish I knew what was going wrong. If you'd like to work with the problem some more, I could try installing it on that same computer, but on a different hard drive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:05 pm 
Boot the CD w/ "knoppix testcd". Does it past the test?