View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:10 pm 
I just did my first KnoppMyth upgrade from R5C7 to R5D1.
It seemed to go ok and the new version looks pretty good!

Was the XF86Config-4 file supposed to be automatically restored during the R5D1 upgrade? Mine wasn't. Can I manually extract it from one of the tar backup files? What do I type?

Besides the XF86Config-4 file, I found I need to manually restore:
- mythweb passwords
- screen themes
- samba autostart
- IR remote control autostart
- unmute sound channels using ALSAMIXER

Is this a normal experience? I believe, I followed the update hints to the letter.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:58 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
Was the XF86Config-4 file supposed to be automatically restored during the R5D1 upgrade?

Not unless you added it to your restore.list file as described in this posting linked from the upgrade hints: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10117
neutron68 wrote:
Can I manually extract it from one of the tar backup files? What do I type?

There are multiple examples on both the upgrades hint page and the one linked above.

As for the rest, there are any number of things that are not backed up or restored by default. That's why there are supplemental lists. The posting about getting the most out of backup/restore is very clear about what is and isn't included by default. Some of these also need to be reenabled in ways that a backup just isn't going to do very well.

Also while the examples show you how to do specific things, there are lots of clues about how to generalize. That's why there are multiple examples, so you can see the bigger patterns. Multiple different examples of extracting things from the backup files, multiple examples of restarting servers, ...

Post subject: backup-restore?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 am 
TJC,

Before asking this, I did go looking for an example of how to extract a specifc file in your R5D1 Upgrade How-to and it wasn't there. I saw examples of how to extract an entire directory, but not a file.
I also looked for a list of what was backed up by the stock R5C7 scipts - not there.
I did see some forum posts talking about how the new backups in R5C7 do an inclusive backup, including the XF86Config-4 file, but there were no specifics on how to restore that file, implying that the backup and restore is automatic as-is.
Quote:
- Inclusive backup, and Selective restoration of files. This means that you can automatically keep and restore the custom version of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf that you worked so hard on.

And, it does make perfect sense to include the XF86Config-4 file into any backup by default.
But why isn't it automatically restored by default?

When I see helpful and relevant documentation, I print it out, make notes on it and put it in a 3-ring binder for future reference. My KnoppMyth binder has grown to an inch and a half in the last 6 months. So, I try to perform my due diligence before asking.

Thanks,
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: too much guessing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:42 pm 
neutron68 wrote:
Before asking this, I did go looking for an example of how to extract a specifc file in your R5D1 Upgrade How-to and it wasn't there. I saw examples of how to extract an entire directory, but not a file.

Go back and search for XF86Config-4.
It's right there. In red.
Not only is it an example of how to extract a single file, but it's exactly the file that you needed!

Post subject: there it is! THANKS!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:48 pm 
Holy crap! There are the commands! :shock:
Code:
cd /
mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.orig.R5D1
tar jxvf /myth/backup/savedfiles.tar.bz2 ./etc/X11/XF86Config-4
/etc/init.d/gdm restart

I'll have to compare the current online posting with my paper printout - made this past weekend. Perhaps this got added after I printed mine out??

I'll try this when I get home to see if my R5C7 XF86Config-4 file was backed up.

TJC, if you added the restore commands for the XF86Config-4 file to grant my wish, THANKS VERY MUCH! :D

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:22 pm 
The example for restoring XF86Config-4 has been there since the R5C7 upgrade hints were written back in May. As for what is backed up by default, thats been there just as long (the two posts were made within a half hour of each other). Look for the text in indigo.
Quote:
The default (builtin) backup list is "./etc ./root ./home" given those three directories, ...

Quote:
The default (builtin) restore list is "./root ./home ./etc/mythtv/modules" this is intended to be as close as possible to what the old style backup and restore did.

BTW - The default restore list has changes slightly, it now includes "./etc/lirc". I'll update the posting accordingly.

Printing may be part of the problem if it's B&W, since I tend to use color coding to make things stand out when you scan the posts.