View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:51 pm 
On the install instructions, under full install, it states to install the drivers,
Quote:
5. If you have an nVidia graphics card, when the front end attempts to start (the Xterm window will disappear and the KnoppMyth desktop will remain on the screen), you will have to install the nVidia graphic drivers. To do this, press <CTRL><ALT><F1> to exit X.

At the same time, in another section of the same topic, it states to do so only if necessary as some people find it causes problems:
Quote:
6. To install the nVidia drivers. Log in as root, type cd /usr/local/bin then type ls *nvidia* and then type install-nvidia-xxxx-debian.sh where xxxx is the driver version included in your KnoppMyth distribution.

7. After the drivers have been installed, then type either:

install-i586-x (for XvMC support on Pentium-class machines)
install-i686-x (for XvMC support on Pentium Pro/Athlon machines)
install-i586-lx (for XvMC and LIRC support on Pentium-class machines)
install-i686-lx (for XvMC and LIRC support on Pentium Pro/Athlon machines)

NOTE:
As described in: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1229 XvMC only improves video display performance for systems that have an nVidia card, a PVR or HDTV card that performs hardware based mpeg decoding, and a slow CPU that otherwise couldn't keep up. You don't want to install it unless absolutely necessary since (at least in the past according to several mysettopbox.tv forum posters) it has led to frozen screens under a wide variety of provocations.

So do I need to install them or not?

I realize that for most people it will probably be crystal clear, and I'm probably very dense, but I'm extremely new to linux and I don't really understand the install document author's mode of thought yet.

And yet just another few paragraphs farther down it states the following, which seems to perhaps eliminate the need to do the above steps at all:
Quote:
If you have only a TV and no monitor, the first time X starts the screen will be unreadable. Press <CTRL><ALT><F1>, log in as root, execute "KnoppMyth-run -~" and answer all the questions. When it prompts for a reboot, Press <ALT><F2>, log in as root, create the XF86Config-4 file, install the nVidia drivers and X should be restarted automatically. Don't enter the root passwd. Instead <CTRL><ALT><F1> and then answer Y to a reboot. This should then continue as normal.

I tried this last step first, but it's just locked up, partly because when it prompted me for network information, it gave me two options of which neither I understood, so I selected the first one. It ran a few pages of text and then hung.

I tried to go through the ls *nvidia* but it only listed 3 files, none of which seemed to match the required format of
" install-nvidia-xxxx-debian.sh where xxxx is the driver version included in your KnoppMyth distribution".

Since I also have no idea which driver version is included in my KnoppMyth distribution, I'm merely lost. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:55 pm 
Site Admin
Which installation instructions are you reading? Certainly not the latest pamphlet... The nvidia drivers should be installed automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:58 am 
cecil wrote:
Which installation instructions are you reading? Certainly not the latest pamphlet... The nvidia drivers should be installed automatically.

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/?id=KnoppMythInstall

From the knoppmythtv faq.

Is there another set?

From the question, I guess it means there is. Probably even on the ftp site where one can get the d1 release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:13 am 
Doh. Ok, the link I gave earlier even linked to http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html.

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/doc.html links to http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.htm after the install.

So now I don't know which to do first.

the doc.html, then the doc.html, then the howto-9.htm?

Unfortunately, none of these documents really answer my questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:09 pm 
In any modern version of KM the Nvidia drivers are installed automatically if an nvidia video card is detected. OBTW - that;s a "nay".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:56 pm 
tjc wrote:
In any modern version of KM the Nvidia drivers are installed automatically if an nvidia video card is detected. OBTW - that;s a "nay".

Thank you sir. That answers that question. You are very kind.