View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 pm 
Greetings,

I have done a manual install (the autoinstall kept on complaining about inodes on /dev/hda3 with mkfs.ext3), even though when i formated hda3 with mkfs.ext3 I got no error messages.

I seem to be having an issue with the (post) install, that is, the first reboot when it is configuring everything.

Everything works correctly and is being detected and configured untill it gets to the Nvidia section. As soon as the Nvidia sections finishes the screen goes blank and it seems that the whole system hangs. I cannot get to any terminal screens and am only left with the finger of god (power button).

Where can I look for information about what is happening so I can fix it, or does any one here know how/where I should look?

I have searched for "X not starting" "Nvidia fail" "Nvidia install" "post install freeze"

Thanks for any help you offer.

PS: this same system ran the "crouching tiger high def dragon" version like a charm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:22 pm 
Hi,

If you can get to a console, check the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file. I had problems where it would grab the mobo video id and not change it to nvidia, had to do it manual. All is well for me since.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:35 pm 
is it possible for you to post your XF86Config-4 file for reference.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 am 
I'm having this same issue. After it loads/detects nvidia, screen goes blank. I cant get a terminal of anykind up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:26 pm 
Details folks details... Are you using TV out? Have you taken a look at X's error log?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:37 am 
I'm having the same problems as well. I was previously using a completely different setup with R5B7, which worked fine. My new system uses an nForce3 chipset with a Sempron processor and a 6200 based video card. This is a new system, but it has been tested to work with Fedora, and Kororaa.

I'm assuming the problem is with the video card, but I cannot be sure. I'm unable to switch virtual terminals (the monitor sounds like it clicks over but nothing shows up on the CRT). I also am unable to ssh into the box as well, which may be a completely unrelated problem. I'm not able to ping the machine, which probably suggests it doesn't get an I.P. address.

My setup is posted below, but I'm just using VGA right now to finish the setup on firstboot.

I've been searching this forum for how to single boot lilo, but have been unsuccessful until I came across this thread.

My setup:
----------------------------------------
ECS nforce3-a board
Sempron 3100+ Proc
EVGA nVidia 6200 128Mb AGP 8x
Hauppauge PVR-350
512Mb RAM
80Gb drive + 250Gb drive
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:58 pm 
Hi,
This is a first reboot after an install / upgrade? R5B7? LCD / crt monitor? Where are we, what point does the issue occur?
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:09 pm 
Yes, R5B7. This is the first boot after installation (installation completes fine). I'm using a CRT monitor in my setup. I don't think it would be possible to hear the monitor as I described in my previous post if I were using an LCD.

The system boots almost completely, but I get no graphical interface. The last line of text printed to the screen before it goes blank is "Starting GNOME display manager: gdm". This thread may be a solution to the problem, but I haven't tried that solution yet.

Edit: I just tested the solution given in the thread I linked to. It didn't work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:46 pm 
Nothing looks out of the ordinary in the XFree log file. I replaced the nvidia driver with the vesa driver in XFreeConfig-4, and I managed to get a graphical system. This may be my only solution until I can get some more compatible nvidia drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:58 am 
Some of the 6200 based nvidia cards need the 8xxx series drivers. Unfortunately these have other issues that you'll have to work around. Search for an article with a title something like "nvidia driver XXXX released" for more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:00 pm 
I don't really have a solution for those who may be looking through this thread for one. I managed to use vesa mode to finish off the install process, and set up output through my PVR-350. I may be revisiting this issue in the future if I upgrade my TV and want to run output through my video card instead.

Thank you tjc for your assistance; I may hold off for a few releases (six months or so) before attempting to get the card working with the nvidia drivers. By then I'll probably want to run component video from the video card instead of s-video from the 350. I've found an alternate solution that works for me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:56 pm 
spartas wrote:
...The system boots almost completely, but I get no graphical interface. The last line of text printed to the screen before it goes blank is "Starting GNOME display manager: gdm"...

I get the same symptoms doing install of R5D1. I note the suggested fixes... however I lack the knowledge of how to try them. ie. I have tried <CTRL>+<ALT>+F1...6 but cannot see anything. I can't telnet/ssh to the box because it doesn't have an IP address by this point in the installation. How does one edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file?

Grateful for pointers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:08 pm 
This troubleshooting page on the wiki has some pointers.
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BlackScreenAfterInstall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:14 pm 
@tjc - Thank you for the quick reply. The more I learn, the more I realise I don't know.

Unfortunately, the

Option "NvAgp" "0"

entry in in the XF86Config-4 file did not appear to make any difference. I will keep searching.