View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:07 am 
Hi,

I am a newbie with not much experience with Linux. I have followed the pamplet in trying to install R5D1 on a machine with SATA drives.

I tried Auto install, but as suggested in the pamphlet, it dosent work, and I then tried manual install. Unfortunately the manual steps to partion the drives arent that user friendly to the uninitiated.

Either way, after following the commands, the installation bombs out and gives an error at line 609. I never get back to the install scrren where the "load" option is supposed to be.

My questions are
1. Is there any trick to get auto-install to work with SATA drives so I dont have to manually partion drives.
2. Is there a step by step (for newbies like me) that are more precise that someone could post/send me/point me in the direction of.

Thanks
R

768 meg RAM
Hauppauge PVR 150
Maxtor 120gig PATA
Sony DVD ROM CD/CD-RW
Trend TEW-443PI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:27 am 
search around there are instructions that will tell you how to install from a sata drive. Also you might want to check the wiki page.......hint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:54 am 
If you are unconfortable with linux use a PATA drive. It is that simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:41 am 
I have tried what is listed on the wiki, but I never get option #4 Load configuration after I exit the partion disk program.

I created 4 partions, wrote them to disk, ran the mke2fs commands and the <alt> <F1> and never seem to get the load config screen.

When I quite cfdisk I get an Error about expecting 7 tokens and only finding 4, which also bombs out of the program.

And unfortunatley I dont have a PATA drive lying around to use, although I wish I did, since it looks like then I could just run the auto install.

768 meg RAM
Hauppauge PVR 150
Maxtor 120gig PATA
Sony DVD ROM CD/CD-RW
Trend TEW-443PI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:21 am 
Ok, I dont really know what I did, but I got past the partition screen, and was able to make three partions (marking the swap as type 82 per some other posts)

Now I get the configuration screen and the installation starts, copies files and then I reboot (with CD out of drive) and get:

Error loading Operating system.

Did a wiki and google search, and nothing seemed to work. I dont have a PATA compatiblity mode or any BIOS settings.

Any help would be very much apprecaited.

As a last ditch effort, I can "borrow" a very old PATA drive (20gig 4200RPM) that I could use as a boot disk, but then would I be able to use the 80gig SATA as storage for video, etc?

Can I add the second drive later and configure for storage, or does it have to be done upfront.

Thanks

768 meg RAM
Hauppauge PVR 150
Maxtor 120gig PATA
Sony DVD ROM CD/CD-RW
Trend TEW-443PI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:34 pm 
it could be that knoppmyth doesn't support you SATA controller card on the motherboard. I had the happen with a couple of motherboards I tried. I would look at the KRP (Dragon) spec and get that motherboard or one close to it.

Long live Myth and Knoppmyth!!!!!

Post subject: sata
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:08 am 
I recommend getting an IDE drive say 20 gigs for the install.
Run the auto install to it and then once done before you login to configure the video cards add your sata drive.
Here are the basic commands i use to do the install.
Make sure you change the drive letters to match yours

#create your disk using LVM 8e
cfdisk /dev/sda

#create your volume group
pvcreate /dev/sda1

vgcreate -s 8M vg /dev/sda1

#Fill in the ammount from grep in lvcreate
vgdisplay vg | grep "Total PE"

lvcreate -l 35772 vg -n myth

mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L myth /dev/vg/myth

mount /dev/vg/myth /mnt/sda1

cp -p -r /myth/* /mnt/sda1

nano /etc/fstab
/dev/vg/myth /myth auto defaults,auto 0 2

update-rc.d lvm start 26 S . stop 82 1 .

nano /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

# enable DMA
/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hda
/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/sda

cfdisk /dev/hda
#Reboot box

pvcreate /dev/hda3

#Extend the Volume group
vgextend vg /dev/hda3

#Unmount Drives
telinit 1
umount /dev/vg/myth

vgdisplay
lvextend -l+1552 /dev/vg/myth

e2fsck -f /dev/vg/myth
resize2fs /dev/vg/myth

mount /dev/vg/myth

telinit 5

chown -R mythtv /myth
chgrp -R mythtv /myth

#Fix Boot Errors
nano /etc/lvm/lvm.conf

# Only scan hda
filter = [ "a|/dev/hd[a]|", "r|.*|" ]

# Only scan sda
filter = [ "a|/dev/sd[a]|", "r|.*|" ]

#To setup the 350card
setup_350.sh

#IRBlaster
run /usr/local/bin/irblaster.sh

Post subject: SATA Install
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:29 am 
Not sure what's in the Wiki on this subject but below "MANUAL INSTALL" is what I got from another thread on the subject. I got this to work for me. I have a PATA and SATA drive. I configured BIOS to be able to use both from MOBO perspective first. Then followed instructions below... I setup my 40gig PATA drive as primary w/ a swap partition. Then setup the SATA drive as a Linux Ext3 partition. Since you only have the SATA drive, you should see the SATA drive as the only drive to partition after choosing the Manual Install option. Note: Change "xda2" with device name of your SATA drive. For me it was "sda1".

Quote:
Currently if you have an SATA drive, you must use Manual Install. You will see two options 1. Partition and 2. Quit, on a new drive or a drive with an invalid partition table. If you see six options, KnoppMyth recognizes the partition table. Either way, you must partition the drive. Select partition and create 3 partitions using cfdisk. The first will be /, the second swap, the third /myth. I recommend 5 gigs for /, swap should be 1.5 times memory. Use the rest of the drive for /myth. Ensure /dev/xda1 is bootable, write the partition table and quit cfdisk. Once the partitions have been created, press <CTRL><ALT><F2>. mkswap /dev/xda2 && swapon /dev/xda2. Format /dev/xda3 with the desired filesystem type. Once complete <CTRL><ALT><F1> and return to the installation.

Note: During the making of partitions, you can choose any fstype you wish, ext2 is recommended for the data (xda3).

# mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L myth -M /myth /dev/xda3
(I highly recommend a journalling fs for /dev/xda3).

You should now see six option. Choose 4. Load config. You should now see /KNOPPIX/knoppmyth. Press <ENTER>. If you have an SATA drive, change this to /KNOPPIX/knoppmyth-sata and press <ENTER>. Next, choose 1. Configure Installation. Provided the requested information. Don't create a user called "mythtv", this user has already been created with a password of "mythtv". Once back to the main menu, select 2. Start installation. Verify the information and sit back. Once complete, reboot the system. After the system reboots it will start X and KnoppMyth will open an Xterm and ask for the root password. See post installation.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:22 pm 
ryanpatterson wrote:
If you are unconfortable with linux use a PATA drive. It is that simple.

I've been messing around with knoppmyth most of the evening. I'm using a SATA drive on an AMD-based PC. Automatic install fails, of course. Manual install *seems* to work, except after rebooting I get an error message about how lilo reports a timestamp mismatch. Wha...? Doing fdisk /mbr from a win98 floppy didn't help any, except to change the error message to "missing operating system" between reinstalls.

Also, towards the end of the install, it says something about a missing ext3 module. Yeah okay. I'm sure a missing file system module could mess things up, but I suspect that'd show up later. At least it ought to *try* to boot.

For a while the computer didn't recognize my drive at all. Then I noticed that the SATA data cable had come unplugged. Oops. :mrgreen: Plugging it back in just brought me back to the original problem.

So what exactly is it about SATA drives that makes them so hard to support? I don't recall having this much trouble with ubuntu. And why does knoppmyth use lilo instead of grub anyway??

Guess I'd better dust off a PATA drive. Darnit, though, my SATA drive is so much faster and allows for better air flow... There must be a way to make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:37 pm 
Hi,

Before you abandon the sata drive there are couple of things left. The problem is that when doing the serial drive, lilo doesn't install properly. Actually, I don't think it installs, but then again I forget for sure.

Going from memory at this point as it has been a few weeks since I last did a serial drive. However a few months back I did post some tips.

Hook up everything as if going for an install, boot up the cd then select quit at the menu. You should have a prompt at the bottom of the screen.
at the prompt enter
[color=red]mount -o rw,dev /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1[/color]
then enter
[color=red]chroot /mnt/sda1[/color]

If all is well then you should now be working on the serial drive. Do
[color=red]cd /etc[/color]
[color=red]nano lilo.conf[/color]
Assuming you have sda1 as root, sda2 as swap and sda3 as /myth then will need to go into the lilo.conf file and look for something like the following lines except will show hda... change them to be sda.
[color=blue]boot=/dev/sda1[/color]
and
[color=blue]root=/dev/sda1[/color]

Also sometimes near the top of lilo.conf you will see something "parted" delete that if it is there..is only trash that will stop the lilo install.

I believe that is all so do ctl x and y to exit and save it.
now enter
[color=red]lilo -v[/color]
It should only complain about a backup and show a few items.
once that is completed do
[color=red]nano fstab[/color]
[color=darkblue]EDIT Please read my second post first![/color]
change all entries to reflect sda for the 3 partitions. Also look for sda3 (/myth) looks at myth and not /mnt/sda3, something like:
[color=blue]/dev/sda3 /myth ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0[/color]

Once all is pointing to the serial drive again do the ctl x y to exit and save

At this point all should be well, do ctl d to exit from the serial drive and at the prompt enter reboot. Remove cd and let us know what happens :)

Mike

Last edited by mjl on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:57 pm 
Hi,

Before you control d out of chroot, add a couple of steps to my previous entry.. going from memory I had momentarily forgotten that you need to format and setup the swap partition.
go something like :

# [color=red]mkswap /dev/sda2 [/color]
# [color=red]swapon -a [/color]

You also need to format the future /myth partition, the pamphlet goes like: Referring to the wiki for the "original" guide.

# [color=red]mke2fs -j -O sparse_super -m0 -i8000000 -L myth -M /myth /dev/sda3[/color] (all in one line)

When making the edits to the /etc/fstab file, change the line to read:
/dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
then go ahead and make the new line inserting the #, we will remove it later.
[color=blue]#/dev/sda3 /myth ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0[/color]

Now do the control d to exit and then reboot.

Now you should be good for the reboot. Once the system is up and you have gone through ALL the setup stages, and have done a backup, you will copy everything in the /myth directory to /mnt/sda3
As root:
# [color=red]mkdir /mnt/sda3[/color]
# [color=red]mount /mnt/sda3[/color]
#[color=red] cp -a /myth/* /mnt/sda3/[/color]
#[color=red] umount /mnt/sda3[/color]

Now you edit the fstab and switch the # location
#[color=red] nano /etc/fstab[/color]
insert a [color=darkred]# [/color]in front of /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3 ...
remove the [color=darkred]#[/color] from front of /dev/sda3 /myth ...
ctl x y to exit and save
# [color=red]mount /myth[/color]

If you get to this point you should be hot to go...
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:43 am 
I'll have to look at that again later when I'm actually trying to use a SATA drive. For current experiments (I'm just trying to figure out if I even like mythtv before blowing big $$ on any new hardware) I just dusted off a spare 60gig PATA drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:07 pm 
Hi,

Auto install should work nicely. Enjoy

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:42 am 
I was able to get the SATA drive working by using the steps at this link http://imakeprojects.com/projects/mythtv/ and setting the swap type during partitioning to 82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:01 pm 
I had no problem installing sata (only hd) on the first try (with manual install).
The problem is i think there is a bug in the manual install related to the root password which prevents any manual installation !!!!
R5D1 is clearly very buggy to stop at this level ! :evil:
Whiy solve big problems when you get stuck with one of the simpliest ?
I was able to install previous releases but Nova-T 90002 didn't work. It says this time it works so i was very optimistic until this password bug (seems it's writing different password to that typed for root).
Knoppmyth seems to come back in every new version with new fixes and new bugs (or older already fixed) never getting better. :(

Go to page 1, 2  Next