View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:10 pm 
Does R5E50 support installing onto external hard drives (USB in this case) if that's the ONLY HD on a back-end system?

Also, does it support eSATA (I know it works with SATA drives, so I'd imagine an external SATA drive would work too).

The reason I ask is that I'd like to "play" with my system without trashing it, so I figured I could use a USB drive to "blow up".

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:00 pm 
Don't know. You can always try it. Attach the drive. Toss in the CD, boot from it, and take the auto install or auto upgrade option. You should see a menu of the detected drives. If your external drive isn't listed you can always abort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:19 am 
Hi,

The trick would be the boot, I have installed to external sata drive and then put it into a different machine for the long term home with out much issue. I did have to play with the boot loader.

Since you are going to be trying the external method, you may have to research boot loaders a little. Grub is the most friendly as you can make changes at boot time. To run lilo -v on the external drive required some trick which I don't recall the details. (knew I should have written it down)

Maybe experiment with dsl or ubuntu but if you can get a boot installed and the machine will boot usb, it should work.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:14 am 
Thanks for the help. The only thing I could find on here was an old (2005, EARLY 2006) that mentioned something about KnoppMyth (or maybe linux in general) "re-assigning" the boot devices after boot and it would mess things up. (ie, on boot it would see as dev/something, but after install, it gets reassigned to dev/something else and then lilo would crap out). But we'll find out in a few days when my external USB comes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Well yes it will do the install, but it won't boot after the install. :( The problem is that the initrd does not recognize that the usb modules are needed. The fix is in the works for the next release (after SCALE).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:33 pm 
Thanks for the info (so I don't waste my time).

Although I suppose if I was linux savvy, I could tweak the initrd myself (if I knew what I was doing) haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:54 pm 
Hi,

If I recall correctly there was a member that had step by step of how to add the needed pieces. I think Cecil also offered a few tips in how to add the driver. Probably in the past 6 months.....

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:51 pm 
Another hint, when you set up the mount point on a "scsi" device (scsi, sata, usb storage, ...) use the volume label rather than the device name. E.g. the following extracted from my /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda1  /  ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/vg/myth  /myth  auto  defaults,auto  0  2
LABEL=backup  /backup  ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  2