View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:49 am 
Greetings, I recently downloaded and installed R5D1. I had no issues when installing, I selected the 'Auto Install' option and all seemed normal.

After the install the machine rebooted and then an error dialog popped up. The error is: "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem."

I selected the checkbox to View Details (~/.xsession-errors file) and this is what was displayed:
Code:
/etc/gdn/PreSession/Default:  Registering your session with wtnp and utnp
/etc/gdn/PreSession/Default:  running:  /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtnp -u /var/run/utnp -x "/var/lib/gdn/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "mythtv"
/etc/gdn/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
x-window-manager:  error while loading shared libraries:  /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6:  file too short

I switched the session to 'Failsafe Teminal', tried to login with the mythtv user and got the same issue. I switched the session to 'Failsafe Gnome' and got an error: "Could not find the GNOME installation, will try running the 'Failsafe xterm' session." This errors out just as I mentioned above.

Any thoughts on this? I'm a noob when it comes to Linux, but I do know how to Google and I verified that the machine has harddrive space by running the 'df -h' command. The machine is an old laptop, but the harddrive has plenty of room on it. Google searches as well as searching the forum and wiki have come up empty. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:40 pm 
Did you test the integrity of the cd you installed from during the install. I boot with the "tv testcd" options which checks that the md5sums of elements on the CD all match what it is expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:12 pm 
Sure sounds like a bad CD to me too. You should ALWAYS install or upgrade using the testcd option. Anything else is like closing the box up after major hardware change and putting it back under your desk before you test it. It's an open invitation to Murphy and all of his little gremlins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:48 pm 
Thanks, I burned another copy, ran testcd during the boot and had no problems. The install worked great. Now my issue is getting the system to recognize and configure my WinTV PVR USB2.

If anyone wants to help me tackle that problem, I posted in the Hardware section at http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12350