View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: No Boot Device
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:20 pm 
Setup a new Knoppmyth Auto Install device today. Motherboard had onboard SATA & IDE. After many tries to boot and install KM I went down an purchased a Silicon Image ATA/IDE controller. Put the 400 Gig drive on the primary channell as master, and the cd/dvd on the secondary as master. Booted with the knoppmyth cd and did an autoinstall..YEA!. Did the config, formatted the drive and copied the files. There were a couple of unreadable errors just before it said it sucessfully finished and asked to reboot. After rebooting it comes back as if it cannot see the HD. You would think that if I can write to it, I could boot to it. Idea's?

# [HDTV]
# [Backend/Frontend]
# Noise level: [Fairly Quiet]
# CASE: Antec
# PSU: Yes
# MOTHERBOARD: Intel DG965WH
# CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo
# RAM: 1 Gig
# CPU HEATSINK: Intel
# NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK: OEM
# CD/DVD-RW: Hammer DVD-RW/CD-RW
# HDD: Seagate 400 GB ST3400632A-RK
# GRAPHICS CARD: Built In
# SOUNDCARD: Built In
# TUNER CARD: AirStar HD5000AV-PCI
# REMOTE CONTROL: StreamZap

Last edited by BigBill on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 pm 
Try pulling out the add in IDE controller card, going back to the builtin IDE controller, and booting the CD with either the "noscsi" or "expert" options so you can control it's SCSI hardware probing. I know this was still neded with my motherboard last time I checked. Skipping the probe for SCSI hardware keeps it from getting confused by the SATA controller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:25 pm 
Removed the new card and plugged things back into the onboard IDE. I gave that "noscsi" a whirl. Looked a little better for a while. Came up with Found IDE-SoftRaid device(s) handled by aacraid.ko and Found IDE-SoftRaid device(s) handled by megaraid.ko. which was better than the 10 Scsi things, but then it stopped with: Can't find KNOPPIX files system, sorry. Dropping you to a very limited shell.... yada yada. On another note, during this, there is this listing at the very top:
PCI: Bios Bug: MCFG area is not E820-reserved & PCI: Not using MMCONFIG

Any idea's?

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:55 pm 
Sounds like your BIOS settings are screwy. You may want to reset them to factory defaults and reconfigure, or even upgrade the BIOS to the latest patch from the MoBo maker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:04 pm 
Did all that. I decided to put the Silicon Image IDE/ATA card card back in. If I can figure out why Knoppmyth bombs out at the end of the install when the SI card is in I may be able to fix it. I noticed druing my trial and errors RedHat loads fine with the SI card, but not with the MB IDE connections.
Was able to do autoinstall, but it blows up at the end, I did see an error about loading a mod for ext3. But then it says its successful. I did load RH Rescue and was able to get to the hard drive and look at the files. But I don't know what to look for... is there an install log?
Right now I am installing FC5 just to verify it will install correctly. I am thinking about going out in the garage and getting my old motorcycle helmet so its won't be so painful hitting my head against the wall...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:18 pm 
Well if it's getting all the way to the end and then won't boot it's probably the lilo issue. See this wiki page for some pointers: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WillNotBootAfterInstall

The most common problem is that you need to tweak the lio.conf and rerun lilo by hand to get it to boot from any drive other than "/dev/hda" (Primary IDE channel, master disk).

Searching the forums for "chroot" should turn up a walk through by either Cecil/cesman, xsecrets, or mjl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:10 am 
I was able to do an knoppmyth autoinstall after installing FC5 sucessfully (noscsi & acpi=off). I then did a manual install and it seems to be working. Is there an install log since even the manual install had some issues at the end of the install that I would like to figure out but they flashed by on the screen too fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:12 am 
I recently upgraded my motherboard & CPU and my KM R5D1 stopped booting - turned out the boot flag wasn't set on the partition, which I fixed by moving the hdd back to the old system and running fdisk, setting the boot flag on partition 1, saving and rebooting the drive back in the new system.

Some BIOS versions clearly don't care if the boot flag is set or not :)

Further to this - I've discovered (after fixing the boot flag problem) that my mainboard has a JMicron PATA controller (at the very least, think 2 of the SATA ports are JMicroson too and the other two are clearly Intel ICH8 which isn't supported by a Linux kernel yet - *cries*).

I'm not clueless, but I'm rusty. I've been using Linux and FreeBSD since they were created in one form or other.

I liked KM so much I bought a brand new core2duo box with 3 big SATA disks for the video and recycled my PATA hard disk for boot/os.

Whoops, the P965 appears to use an ICH8 for 2xSATA and JMicron for PATA/2xSATA on the mainboard. Ok, so I really am clueless :-)

I tried booting KM R5D1 from USB CDROM but that didn't get any further than trying to mount the root file system (which, confusingly is the same place it stops when I try and boot from PATA CDROM - clearly for different reasons though).

Apparently JMicron drivers have made it into the 2.6.18 kernel so that's one step forward - I can always grow the video filesystem with the third ICH8 connected drive when the ICH8 drivers come out - but I have no idea where to start in terms of upgrading the KM ISO to get KM booted so I can fix my PATA installation (and/or reinstall).

The shop I bought the system from is happy to swap out the mainboard for an older P945 based one to see if it has better supported SATA/PATA controller, but if I can get this fixed in software then that would be better in the long term - wouldn't it?

I appreciate any help or advice anyone can provide!

Apologies to Cecil for the email, I found these forums shortly after :-)

Cheers

Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:51 am 
Let me know if you get that working. I tried for two weeks and finally gave up. Am making the core2duo my windows workstation, and am now attempting to get my ole P4-2.5 working as the KM backend. My best guess is you will need to wait till KM's kernel gets upgraded to the currently available version. (its supposed to support it, but I didn't test)

Things that just wouldn't work: Internal IDE and NIC. Bought a cheap SIL0680 ATA card and an older Intel e100 nic. But they filled up the slots once the HDTV card was put in, so no place for a good video card. The on board worked to play around but I couldn't watch anything or redirect to an HDTV.
Oh yeah, after you do the auto install the boot record never got written on my 50 attempts, right at the end of either a manual install or auto install there were errors that came up. So after the autoinstall do a manual and just go in an turn on "bootable" on the first partition. After doing this I had to reboot the machine manually every time as it would never let you quit via the menu. Then the machine will boot and work fine. I was able to record HDTV shows, but since I didn't have a seperate front end and planned on this machine being both I was screwed.

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:12 pm 
BigBill wrote:
Let me know if you get that working. I tried for two weeks and finally gave up. Am making the core2duo my windows workstation, and am now attempting to get my ole P4-2.5 working as the KM backend.

Funny how things work out - if you check my .sig below, you'll see I've done exactly what you've done - the core2duo is now my workstation and my Opteron workstation is now my knoppmyth box ;)

When installing KM, make your life easier by ensuring the CDROM IS NOT /dev/hda and that your install target IS /dev/hda :)

That way you end up with a simple life :)