View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Install hangs at 2%
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:36 pm 
Well I am running into something that has me stumped any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very new to Linux I’ve been using it for about 5 days now.

First here is my setup

R5D1
P4 @ 3.4 gig – hyper threading enabled
1 Gig ram pc3200 400 MHz.
Asus P4P800S-X main board
Chipset – Intel 848P MCH / Intel ICH5
Nvidia 5200 type board with 128 Megs
Audio AC97 on board
Western digital 250 gig PATA – DMA enabled
LiteOn DVD Burner – DMA enabled
Happ. PVR-150 – not MCE
Display – plasma TV connected directly to VGA out on Nvidia

I had a working install of R5D1. The install went great it was basically a Type 1 install. I even managed to resolve the small font issue, update my IvTv driver to 0.7.1. also got the pineapple thing going..

Here is my problem when I tried to play a DVD the video was very jerky I ran “xine-check” I think it is and passed all the tests except the last one it said I was using an old server version. It also said that if I was using an ATI card that I might want to go to GATOS and get new drivers. I was using a 9250 series chipset, so, I went to the GATOS website and found it very confusing. I decided to see what hardware would work without any problem. It looks like a number of people are using an Nvidea 5200 type card so I rolled down to CompUSA and picked one up.

Plugged in the new 5200 board and reinstalled R5D1. Well at least that is what I tried to do but after hitting “enter” at the splash screen, up pops the following.

“8139cp: pci dev 0000:02:05.0 (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not 8139c+ compatible chip
8139cp: try the “8139too” driver instead.”

This does not stop the install and it continues to go through the initial configuration with no more errors that I can see. I enter my name and all the passwords. Accept the partitions. After the partition screen it goes to the install it hits 2% and stops dead in the water.

I have tried expert mode but got the same results except that it made it to 5%. I also confirmed the checksum on my dl of R5D1.

I had a working install and total screwed the pooch…

Oh well, any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:39 pm 
Site Admin
Bad drive and or media. Boot with:
Code:
knoppmyth testcd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:53 pm 
Hi,
I had one that would get all the way to 7%, changed the ribbon and all is well.
Just an idea.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:55 pm 
cecil wrote:
Code:
knoppmyth testcd

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did as you suggested and the media passed all tests. I should also mention that this hard drive is installed in one of those removable drive bays. Now that I think about it when I install R5D1 on it three days ago I did not have it in the removable case I wired it directly to the controler as you would with a normal install.

Could this be an issue?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:05 am 
mjl wrote:
Hi,
I had one that would get all the way to 7%, changed the ribbon and all is well.
Just an idea.
Mike

Ribbon? What ribbon?

Post subject: Re: Install hangs at 2%
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:10 am 
kravaholic wrote:
cecil wrote:
Code:
knoppmyth testcd

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did as you suggested and the media passed all tests. I should also mention that this hard drive is installed in one of those removable drive bays. Now that I think about it when I install R5D1 on it three days ago I did not have it in the removable case I wired it directly to the controler as you would with a normal install.

Could this be an issue?

Thanks again.

Possibly. I know either km or mythtv has problems with usb drives and some types of hardware. It also has trouble if you don't have the primary drive on the primary controller. It has to be hda0, and it will not like it if it's otherwise.

On my install, I spent hours grueling over the system because i had my cdrom on the first controller and the hd on the second. I thought i had it the other way around at first.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:20 am 
It was the removable drive bay.

I connect my HD straight to the controler and R5D1 nstalled without a hitch. Although now I have a black screen on boot through the monitor port. I connected the s-video out and it worked fine. So I guess the Nvidea is putting out a resolution that is over 1024x768.

No worries I can fix this.

Thanks for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:11 am 
Hi,

Quote:
Ribbon? What ribbon?
The flat interconnecting cable going from the motherboared to the cd rom drive and to the hard drive. That type of cable construction is called ribbon and uses idc connectors.

Removable drive bays will also cause the effect as was discovered, mostly the lower cost ones as they typically use a "centronics" type of connector . Some machines seem more sensitive than others, probably has to do with the type of drive / receiver chip being able to over come the impedance mismmatching.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:14 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
Ribbon? What ribbon?
The flat interconnecting cable going from the motherboared to the cd rom drive and to the hard drive. That type of cable construction is called ribbon and uses idc connectors.

Removable drive bays will also cause the effect as was discovered, mostly the lower cost ones as they typically use a "centronics" type of connector . Some machines seem more sensitive than others, probably has to do with the type of drive / receiver chip being able to over come the impedance mismmatching.

Mike

Ah, THAT ribbon. I usually refer to it as a ribbon cable or just the connector. lol. I've never heard it referenced merely as "ribbon" before, although it's just as accurate as "ribbon cable".

When I read "ribbon", I pictured a printer ribbon and wondered if I'd wandered into the wrong board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:58 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi,

Quote:

Mike

Yep, it was a "centronics" style connector. I thought it was odd I hadn't seen one of those in years. However, given the application I can understand why they would use it.