View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:51 pm 
I'm having a rather vexing problem: I've installed R5D1 to this same computer before, using the exact same CD, and had it succeed, but now, just a week later, it fails every time, because it always gets the password wrong. The CD still passes the testcd check on the target computer, so it's not tha the CD has been damaged in the interim.

What's different about the install this time is that I'm trying to install it on sdb3 instead of sda1, and I'm chain-loading LILO from GRUB. The install goes normally until the file copying stage finishes. At that point, it appears knoppmyth is trying to make some last-minute adjustments to certain system files, and a parade of "can't find /dir/filename" messages flash past, after which the installer cheerfully tells me that "KnoppMyth was successfully installed to HD"

When I then boot the system (using two lines in GRUB, "Root (HD1,2)" and "chainloader +1", which results in a successful boot), KnoppMyth starts out asking for the administrator password, I give it, and get an authentication failure, every time.

I'm suspicious that the last script in the KnoppMyth install isn't getting the message about where it should be looking, which is why it can't find any of the files it's trying to modify: I think it's looking in either sda1, or (perhaps more likely) in sdb1 (that is, getting the message about which drive it should be installing to, but not which partition of that drive). That would mean that either R5D1 must be installed on the first hard-drive, or that R5D1 must be installed in the first partition on the hard drive it goes on, or perhaps both. Shades of Win9x.

On another odd (but probably unrelated) note...QTparted reports 12.59GB of used space on sdb3 after the install is finished...I think KnoppMyth may be making a large swap file, instead of detecting and using the swap partition.

Last edited by Verbatim9 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:16 pm 
Well, I've got a little update: I've managed to install KnoppMyth again, and I figured out what the problem was (I was wrong above)...the short version is, if you're using SATA drives, and the built-in partitioner won't work with your setup, you have to mark the partition you're installing KnoppMyth to as the active (boot) partition before you start the install, or you won't be able to log in when you reboot after the install.

I know it's odd, but I'm certain that is the case: I'd tried to install several times and had it fail at the initial password confirmation, then I re-formatted the partition I was trying to install KnoppMyth on, and made sure to give it the active partition flag, and after that the install succeeded.

The missing file errors mentioned above still happen during a successful install, when it goes into the phase "converting knoppix to debian", not sure whether that's normal or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:16 am 
From the much longer trouble shooting checklist at http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... terInstall
Quote:
(ALL) Make sure the first partition on your drive is marked as bootable by fdisk. (you'll need to boot from the CD and use it in rescue mode to do this)