View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: No SVIDEO to TV on R5D1
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:58 pm 
Ok, I am out of ideas and think I've exhausted all possible threads to get this DVR working with SVideo to TV.

Specs:
KnoppMyth: R5D1
ABIT KT7 with AMD Athlon 800
300MB EIDE HD
SB LIVE Audio
NVidia GEForce MX440 (TV OUT SVideo)
Hauppage PVR 350 (TV IN)

I installed Knoppmyth R5D1 using a monitor. NVidia screen came up and was able to config the box. I made the changes to XF86Config-4 file for Option " Connected Monitor" " TV" and changed the settings HorizSync 30-50 Vert Refresh 60. Conneced the Coax cable (cable feed) to the PVR 350 and SVideo from the TV to the MX440 Nvidia card, rebooted. All I get is a blurry static screen with horizontal lines going up.

I reviewed the XF86Config-4 file and made additional changes to force SVideo but no change. But now I don't get video to my monitor. I need to get a termnial window to see anything (CTLR-ALT-F1). Upgraded the NVidia drivers by downloading and installing the latest linux driver ver 9629.

The new drivers installed correctly but did not fix the issue. I copied the XF86Config-4.sample TV out file and still no change. No Svideo via TV or nvidia splash screen using the monitor.

I checked the logs (dsmeg and message) and did not find any issues. Both cards are found and loaded without any errors.

I went to the extent in commenting out all resolution under monitor option except 800X600 and now I don't get anything. Not even a terminal window (CTRL-ATL-F1).

1. So for starters, how can I get to the XF86Config-4 to make change so I can at least get a terminal window to see via the monitor?
2. Does anyone have suggestion to t-shoot my issue. I don't know what else to do and wondering if the svideo interface is bad.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:35 pm 
If you are using the TV you won't seen the nVidia splashscreen as that has been disabled, also you wouldn't see it on the monitor anyway as it would be on the TV if your XF86Config-4 was working.

You can access your box remotely through a network connection using ssh, if you are using Windows on your other machine, you will need PuTTY to be installed on your Windows box.

The obvious question is, is your TV set to the correct input and can the input accept S-Video?
You should see the initial startup screen and the text boot sequence when connected to the TV using the TV-Out, have you tried rebooting to check if this is still OK? You can do this from the command line by entering the following:
Code:
su
shutdown -r now
(You will have to enter the root password, and the commands are on separate lines, terminated by pressing the Enter
key)
Have you set up the TVStandard and TVOutFormat correctly for your area?
Your modeline might be incorrect for your card settings, you will need to check the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file if your driver is selecting the correct values.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:32 pm 
Thanks for the feedback.
I never see the PC boot on the TV screen. I have powered down the PC and connected the Svideo then powered on the PC but just a static display. The TV is on SVideo input and I have scrolled through all TV input just in case.

As the Svideo output displays static, all I would do is plug in a monitor and I would see the bootup on the monitor.. If the XF86Config-4 is correct for TV, should I ever see anything on the monitor?

I'll SSH into the box and to get the monitor back but still stuck.

-Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:34 pm 
Site Admin
:twisted: Working on KnoppMyth is a source of pleasure and pain. I'm happy to give something back to the Linux community. I only ask for a few things. One is to post in the right area of the forum. I may sound crazy, but this is one of my pet peeves. This post has nothing to do with the installation of KnoppMyth. If you can say, you've installed it and it working, then it doesn't belong in KnoppMyth -> Installation(period). Is it so difficult to read the stickies? For the last time, posts that don't belong in KnoppMyth installation will be deleted.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]