View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:10 am 
I just did a fresh install of R5D1 on a VIA Nehemiah EP10000N Mobo with Hauppauge PVR-150. I searched the forum but was surprised I couldn't find anyone with a similar problem given that I thought I have pretty standard hardware.

The problem is that upon boot I see the Knoppmyth splash screen then it seems to try to go into MythTv but then reboots the machine. It does this inifinately unloess I shut off the machine. I had a bit of trouble installing because it would reboot halfway through the install. I eventually got past that by manually setting the screen resolution and Hsync and vsync.

Any ideas? I'm a bit of a Linux newbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:30 am 
Bad/incompatible CD burn is my first guess. Boot from the CD using "tv testcd" when it first asks for options. If it grumbles about any problems with the image, toss it, DL a fresh copy, check the md5sum, and burn at the slowest speed. Switching media might also help if you have multiple brands available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:10 pm 
Well I tried that but still had intermittent problems. So I downloaded R5C7 and still had the issue. It actually doesn't always reboot at the same point. The latest time I got as far as mythtv -setup and shortly after answering the question about using i686 modules it rebooted.

Upon reboot I got through most of the mythtv setup. But after successfully connecting to Datadirect and then setting up my channels I chose "Fetch Channel Listings from Provider". The machine froze and was unresponsive. So I had to manually reboot it.

There must be some piece of hardware that is the problem. Any ideas on how I can narrow it down?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:15 pm 
Try the memory tester built into the install disk. I think "memtest86" is the boot option, but double check that. You may also want to check the BIOS thermal monitoring page to make sure that the CPU isn't overheating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:18 pm 
Another time it rebooted after I answered only a few questions I believe after the bootsplash question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:41 pm 
Quote:
Try the memory tester built into the install disk. I think "memtest86" is the boot option, but double check that.

That would be my first guess as well. (And yes, I believe if you hit F2 or F3 on the CD it gives you the option to test the memory.)

Second guess is unsufficient voltage to the CPU or the CPU is overclocked.

has this machine ever run stable?

ATI HDTv Wonder, Hauppauge 150MCE
ThermalTake Bach case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:54 pm 
I never really quite figured this out. I will say that I tried installing Windows XP and had problems too. So some piece of hardware. Although I even changed the P/S and all IDE cables with no luck. I guess I may have to junk the EPIA mobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:42 am 
Do you have a different processor to try? I came across this yesterday at work. Replacing the processor fixed the issue. it may have just been poorly seated tho.

Reseat the CPU, if not then the CPU might be the problem.

(the one I had to replace was brand new out of the box P4 S775 3.0Ghz)

ATI HDTv Wonder, Hauppauge 150MCE
ThermalTake Bach case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:48 am 
See the http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... lingTheBox page on the wiki for some tips. Pulling all the components, making sure there are no little bits of cruft where they don't belong, and then making sure everything is reseated properly, can clear up a bunch of mysterious issues.