View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:01 am 
Hi all. trying to install r5d1 on a second machine. Install on an old PIII test machine went fine so I presume it is not a problem with the actual iso image. Now I want to put it on my media centre PC - for real as it were.

I have tried auto and manual install and two different video cards in case that had anything to do with it. The installs seem to go fine up until it's time for the first reboot. Then, instead of booting up at all, it hangs when, presumably, it is looking for lilo. It just says "Boot from CD" and dies.

I suppose this means a problem with lilo, or where lilo is placed. I have tried both options (putting it in mbr and on the root partition). No difference.

Not sure (bit of a newbie) how to look at the contents of the lilo file as the CD does not appear to be a "Live CD" like knoppix is? That is - I can't get to a prompt or anything to look at the file.

Can anyone help with this please?

TIA

RJ

BTW - if it is important, this was previously a WinXP machine but I have reformatted the drive under both the auto install and the manual partition etc at different times, so surely all vestiges of XP should have gone, and lilo placed correctly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:13 am 
Have you checked your BIOS settings for what device you are booting from and whether the Boot Sector protection is active?
Possibly this thread might be a help.

If it doesn't, can you give some more info about your setup, like the drives and drive controller, what drive letters (/dev/hda etc) etc, thanks.

Bruce S.

ETA: a couple of extra questions.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:21 am 
Bruce - thanks for taking the time to reply. As you (and the suggested link) seem to say, not all hardware is the same!

I will look at my setup more carefully and see what might be wrong. I have had XP, ubuntu and more recently Mythdora setup fine on this same machine. It does normally have two drives, but I disconnected the second one in order to protect my music collection etc that is on it during the install.

So there is only one connected drive -/dev/hda - with three partitions: hda1 (root), hda2 (swap) and hada3 (the rest). I assumed that if there was no error report on boot from the CD (I know about it needing to be the primary hda etc) and the fact that the partitioning and install all went fine, that everything should be ok as far as the drive goes. Obviously not the case. I'll look now at the bios setup and come back to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:27 am 
Having torn my hair out (plus all drives, CD and everything else in different combinations) I found the answer.

I used the auto instyall feature and although it created the right partitions etc it failed each time to make the first partition bootable. Is this a bug??

Anyway - after I had manually created my own - it all worked OK

BTW this was with RD51 or what ever the version is called. I have now also installed R5E50

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:13 pm 
arjay wrote:
BTW this was with RD51 or what ever the version is called. I have now also installed R5E50

You mean R5D1 - Getting the versions right is important, it lets us give you appropriate advice, and helps people who find your post in the future figure out if it applies to them. Both of which eventually benefit your self interests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:02 pm 
tjc - sorry my bad - typing posts on a different machine to the one I am trying to install on. Very tired and fed up after a whole day of trying to get this stupid program to work. I thought it was the lack of a boot flag but it turned out to be a false promise.

I have no idea what the problem is. I have a straightforward setup (having simplified it as much as I can) with just a single Samsung 250 Gb disk and a cd rom. The HD is shown in the Bios as the Primary Master and I have set the jumper up to reflect that. It correctly identifies as /dev/hda. I cannot get either version to get beyond the first reboot. Just hangs after the first reboot with "Boot from CD" if I have the CD hooked up, and "Verifying Pool Data" if I disconnect the Cdrom.

Just out of interest, I took an old Maxtor disk from my spare/test machine that had a successful install from the same R5D1 CD and it runs OK on the media centre PC (allowing for a couple of glitches because of different pvr cards etc).

I have since been able to install Ubuntu, Fedora FC6 and Mythdora on this same machine without any problems. if I have both hard drives in the machine they are identified as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb and the install of other distros will happily go on either disk.

Since I know it can't be the iso images (both install OK on other machines) I figure it must be a miss-read of the Primary Master situation or something similar. Anywy i can't waste any more time on it for now, so am trying Ubuntu Edgy which also has a couple of promising HowTos. My Media Centre PC is a special silent box and the only one within reach of my satellite digibox or I'd try one of the other machines.

Can't understand why Knoppmyth has this ridiculously strict interpretation of the install Hard Drive ... but who an I to say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:21 pm 
This sounds like the problem I had on my first install. It turned out that the BIOS didn't like the WD drive jumpered as MA. It wouldn't work until I jumpered it CS. Other folks have reported the opposite problem, that some BIOSes and HDs need to be jumpered MA to work. See the "won't boot after install" wiki page here: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WillNotBootAfterInstall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:49 am 
tjc - thanks for the additional comments. Actually, i had seen and tried all the PATA suggestions in the link. I also tried with the HD configured as master, slave and cable select but no joy.

I am now trying Ubuntu + mythtv. If that works, I'll stick to it. If not, I'll come back to Knoppmyth. I really wanted/preferred to use it but what to do? Can't spend any more time on just trying to get it installed (I have to spend too much anyway on getting mythtv to work <g>).

Cheers

RJ