View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:00 pm 
Okay, I'm very new to this, so sorry for the dumb questions.

The pamphlet says: Select partition and create 3 partitions using cfdisk. The first will be /, the second swap, the third /cache and fourth /myth."

A few questions:

Is it THREE or FOUR that I'm supposed to make? (first it says 3, then it says four).

Secondly, what type? All Primary? Or Extended, or a mix of both?

Thirdly what FS type? (I know swap is "swap"). I don't see an ext3 or ext2 as the type, simply a type 85 as "linux extended". And I don't see an XFS type (or is that later?) for the \myth partition. This will be for HDTV and "regular" SD recordings as well.

The Wiki indicates that cache is no longer needed? (R5B57, but not sure if that's on the ISO or not).

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:44 pm 
Site Admin
R5E50 (the latest public release) can do an auto-install to SATA disk if you will let it take the entire disk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 pm 
I am by no means an expert, but I did three partitions. I think the two beyond swap I used ext3.

On another note, with an issue that I had I think I sucked it up and tried the automated install and it seemed to work for me....take that with a grain of salt though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:46 pm 
Dale beat me to it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:28 pm 
Okay, thanks. Any way to get someone to update the "pamphlet" then so that it doesn't make it sound like you have to do a manual install if you have SATA?

Also, will the automatic format the /myth as JFS or XFS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:29 pm 
The mention of four partittions and /dev/hda4 are editing oversights from when Cecil updated the pamphlet after the cache partition got dropped. Just read 3 for 4 and you should be alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:36 pm 
Dale wrote:
R5E50 (the latest public release) can do an auto-install to SATA disk if you will let it take the entire disk.

Hmmm, doesn't appear to work. The R5E50 still looks for hda not sda when doing an auto-install.

Manual install will see sda just fine.

So I guess it is still correct that you need to do a manual install if using SATA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:56 pm 
Got it all set (just do manual, ignore the pamphlet about the /cache area) and for the most part ready to go.

If I feel adventurous I may take some screenshots and do a more "detailed" step by step (sorry, I'm one of those retarded people that follow the instructions to the letter and if something's missing I freak out)

Thanks for all the help!

Looking forward to how well (or not) my little Pundit box works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:58 pm 
Okay, so I made a boo-boo. I thought I had download R5E50, but I had used one of the R5E50 mirrors on this website, only turns out that it took me to the R51D ISO instead.

So that would explain lots.

I believe that version is a work in progress, right? So where do I provide any feedback? (not complaining now that I know I messed up).

For example:

The R5E50 does support auto-install for SATA, but the R51D doesn't currently work like that.

Also, the install for the R51D doesn't show you typing in the passwords (not sure if that's a big deal) and the "Quit" sections never really let you quit, they'd just take you to the same screen that you were on when you told it you wanted to quit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:43 pm 
R5D1 is the old version, R5E50 is the current release. The recent history goes something like ... -> R5B7 -> R5C7 -> R5D1 -> R5E50 -> ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:00 am 
hurnik wrote:
The R5E50 does support auto-install for SATA, but the R51D doesn't currently work like that.

No it doesn't. R5E50 is the first KnoppMyth release to support Auto-installation to SATA drives

hurnik wrote:
Also, the install for the R51D doesn't show you typing in the passwords (not sure if that's a big deal)

None of the KnoppMyth versions do (that I've seen, anyway). No passwords are echoed to the screen - Wouldn't be very secure passwords if they were, now would they? :wink:

Note tjc's post on release history.