View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:02 pm 
First, great work with this distro!

Second, was looking at the install instructions on the "pamphlet" and the wiki, It doesn't seem that these instructions necessarily apply to the latest release (R5E50). The wiki makes reference to XFREE86, but R5E50 appears to use xorg...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:22 pm 
Everything you need is in tjc's upgrade tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:27 pm 
Well, sort of. Not to bash tjc, but there's a difference between UPGRADING and installing for the first time.

For example, the pamphlet says you have to do a manual install for SATA and to make 3 partitions but references 4 of them.

But the upgrade doesn't state that you can just throw the CD in and do an auto-install to SATA (because of course, it's an upgrade, so you'd have a system already setup and running).

Again, no disrespect intended, I know everyone contributes their own time and effort here and isn't getting paid for this stuff, it's just that from a "noob" perspective it's a bit frustrating when you have all these diff. sets of instructions that seem either out of date or contradictory.

But until I get my digital camera in and can take screenshots to provide an updated set of my own instructions, the best thing is to use a combination of both the pamphlet and the wiki install instructions (between the two I was able to figure MOST of it out). Assuming an auto-install.

It seems that QAM/HDTV setup is the more "difficult" of the beast whereas if you're doing just analog cable or STB (where you can pull the lineup in). But I'm sure that has to do with whether you're using OTA, or QAM via Cable and what provider you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:25 pm 
The upgrade hints themselves try to spell out these limitations so I'd put that down as the straight dope. ;-) From http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13108
Quote:
This posting is intended to be a supplement to Cecil's updated Pamphlet and change list rather than a replacement. As a result it tends to skip issues they cover, so don't forget to review those before you start upgrading. This information is intended to apply whether you're doing an Auto Upgrade or a manual upgrade. (BTW - Auto Upgrade only works if you originally did an Auto Install. If you had to do a manual install you need to do a manual upgrade. See the pamphlet for details.)

The hints DO have a lot of information that applies even for new installs, but they're aimed at common upgrade issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:22 am 
OK, taking the instructions and TJC's write up (plus responses), many questions are answered. Since it is indeed a bit confusing for a noob to sort through all the information, I'll just write the questions I had after reading the pamphlet and instructions.

yes, R5E50 does:
1) use xorg
2) comes with nvidia drivers (though apparently not the latest)

The later was the most confusing part - since the instructions describe in detail how to install the nvidia drivers. If someone did have the time (heck, if I get this working, I'll help), consolidating the kernel source and nvidia info would be useful to people like me.

All-in-all I am very impressed. This is the only distro I've tried that had my nvidia TV-out (sorta) working out of the box. I was beginning to wonder if it was broken!

Cheers,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:52 am 
Site Admin
Yes, the phamplet needs to be updated. No, I don't have time to do it all.