View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:09 pm 
I just ran an Auto Upgrade from R5D1->R5E50 it went smoothly (Since I had tjc's guide in hand)

During the upgrade my computer played the soundfile saying, "restoration failed" (or something very much like that) as it was restoring the backup I made 5 minutes before starting the upgrade. The problem is, I couldn't read the error message on screen since it scrolled off too soon.

Is there a log were I can retrieve the message to track down the problem? I'm not seeing anything wrong, but I'm afraid there's something out there waiting to bite me on the butt.

The only other thing I wasn't expecting after the upgrade was that my "Upcoming Recordings" were gone. I'm hoping that's what wasn't restored because mythfilldatabase fixed that.

Thanks,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 pm 
If the restore fails you can run the checkrestore script. It will tell you what tables have different record counts, or what files aren't where they're expected. Running the program guide updates would have changed enough to make this far less useful now.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:44 am 
It looks like the things I described are actually two problems. -- and problem is too strong a word, perhaps one minor issue, and one case of impatient user.

when the upgrade restored I got the "restoration failed" again. This time I looked in the /var/logs/restore.log I saw nothing of consequence. -- there were a bunch of missing files; it looks like /home/myth/.democracy was not restored...
It looks like the restore initially "failed" because I don't have an /etc/asound.conf file
Quote:
Generating a list of the backup contents...
/bin/tar: ./etc/asound.conf: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

my sound has been and continues to be fine, although I've had enabling my SPDIF on the todo list for some time.
I'll check/post in the topic described in the log, I don't think this needs to be expanded on here

I also had the empty "Upcoming Recordings" again too, but I knew from last time that mythfilldatabase would fix it, so I put that at the bottom of the priority list. -- I thought I would check in here first.
I went through a couple of reboots trying to get my lirc working again, and magically the upcoming recordings were back!!!

Known Issue #1 describes a similar symptom with "Recordings" is "Upcoming Recordings" just another flavor of the same problem? Still, even if this is a new issue, the solution is the same, "just be patient." maybe the solution is to reboot.

Again, I think I'm all good, I'm really just updating this post in case someone else has sees the same thing and does a forum search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:14 am 
Quote:
my sound has been and continues to be fine, although I've had enabling my SPDIF on the todo list for some time.
I'll check/post in the topic described in the log, I don't think this needs to be expanded on here

found this Looks like the same restore failure.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:18 pm 
jmckeown2 wrote:
there were a bunch of missing files; it looks like /home/myth/.democracy was not restored...

Yeah, I'm still investigating this. All I can figure is that there is something funky about that directory. There are some subtle differences between the ways the lists are generated and this might be falling into the cracks.

jmckeown2 wrote:
It looks like the restore initially "failed" because I don't have an /etc/asound.conf file
Quote:
Generating a list of the backup contents...
/bin/tar: ./etc/asound.conf: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

That's actually harmless and ignored. If you have something in the restore list which doesn't exist in the tarball it's not considered a cause for panic.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:26 pm 
Please see this thread regarding the errors from the restore - http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15246

If the differences in your /var/log/restore.log logfile match as described there, you can safely ignore the error. I'm still trying to come up with a good fix for this false alarm.