View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:34 am 
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with this as it is doing my nut in. Ive just bought myself a new computer and lots of nice hardware to go with it. Burnt myself a knoppmyth installation disk, popped it in and off i went with an auto install - so far so good. System restarted and then i got stuck.

First sign of things not going so well is my screen display flashing a few times before the message 'ID 'c7' respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes' popping up. Had no idea what the hell this meant so tried continuing myself.

I hit return on the keyboard and logged in as per the username asked for during the installation. Typed in 'mythtv' as assumed this would get me on my way but the following message popped up 'cannot connect to X server'. Can anyone help me along my way please - oh and i havent touched linux since i left university (about 5 years ago) so please bare with me if i get confused with any advice you give me.

Many thanks in advance

Rob Flook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:09 am 
Search on these forums for "telinit 1" - This post should get you started http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ht=telinit , but with no clues other than "a new computer and lots of nice hardware to go with it" I'm afraid there won't be many specific answers.

You might start with the version of KM you are trying to install, followed by your hardware configuration (motherboard, CPU, video, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:00 pm 
Appologies for the lack of info provided on my hardware.

Current set up is

AM2 Motherboard with onboard sound (7.1) and graphics (VIA K8M890)
Sempron 3400+ Processor
320GB Maxtor Hard Drive
512mb DDR2 Ram
LG DVD-ROM

Version of Knoppmyth im trying to install is R5E50

Hope this helps out. Oh and it might be worth knowing that i just ran Knoppix from a Live USB stick. I had the same issue with the screen flashing on and off during start up but it seemed to sort itself out and booted up fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:47 pm 
I personally am not familiar with the VIA chipsets, but I have noticed posts here that indicate they are troublesome (if not impossible) to work with. Check that link I posted, you probably want to try the vesa driver first just to get you going, then search around here for your VIA possibilities. You may get some hits if you search for make/model of your motherboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:11 pm 
Hi,

Sounds like the auto detect didn't set up your xserver config file correctly... it happens. What you will need to do is edit a file as root.

# nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Towards the bottom there is a space for Driver "something" You may want to try Driver "vesa" Also while there check the Depth for 16 or maybe 24. Then once you have that information scroll down a little farther to find the matching depth and remove any resolutions that are to high for your hardware.
Look for something simular...
Identifier "Card0"
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
# Driver "nvidia"
Driver "vesa"
and in the screen section...
DefaultColorDepth 16
~
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
It could be set to high.

Back at the root prompt, # startx should bring up a gray desktop.. IF you get that then myth should work. Use ctl + alt + backspce to kill the xserver. I think cesman has it so that in ~ 5 minutes xserver should retry to run again so just wait a few and see what happens.

Later you can re configure the driver to match your video so all will work better. The vesa driver is like the little "donut spare tire" gets you going till you get needed help :)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 pm 
Brilliant,

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Ill give that a try tomorrow as im completely knackered now and am going to go to bed.

Cheers

PS: Just out of interest, why would there be a problem with the VIA chipset if i can run knoppix no problems and have also installed mythdora (just to see if it worked) with no problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:57 pm 
Site Admin
Depending on the Via chipset, it is a bug with KnoppMyth. We tried to ensure accelerated performance out the box. This has been fixed for the next release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:10 pm 
Cecil,

Cheers for the info. Just wondering if you might be able to tell me when the next release will be out?

Cheers

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:11 pm 
Site Admin
When it is ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:47 am 
Yes it works. Thanks for all the help guys, mjl i think your suggestion was the one that totally sorted it, brilliant. Unfortunately i think i stuffed up the configuration as i was knackered and didnt really think about what i was doing. Oh well at least i know it gets into mythTV without a fuss now. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:11 am 
You

are

a

Magician,

Mike.

I didn´t believe you. Just some small changes in a small file! Pah! There must be more. You don´t want to share your trick? Ok. I see. Honor of the Guilde of Magicians.

Thanks, anyway.

red

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:13 am 
Hi,

The kind words are always welcomed :) However in return, thank you for taking the few minutes to search for an answer on the forum to help with your problem.

Mike