View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:14 pm 
I have an older working system on a 250GB hard drive in an older PC. It is an earlier version of Knoppmyth (don't recall the exact version but it the one I finally upgraded to after being stuck on that non-upgradable version for a while, R5B7 I think)

I have built a new myth box using better hardware generally, but my test install of knoppmyth is on a small 40GB hard drive in that new machine. It seems to work well so I am ready to migrate to it. Of course, I want to use the 250GB drive from the old system to get enough storage space.

I have thought of 3 possible options. There may be others.

1. Add the 250GB hard disk to the new machine, format it, and mount it to replace the large myth partition on the 40GB drive. This gives me the storage I want, but the myth system will be running on the older/slower? 40GB drive (is the cache there too?)

2. Backup the old system, remove the 40GB drive, replace it with the 250 (containing the backup system), boot the R5E50 CD and do an upgrade. Will this work OK? The PC hardware is changed, but, as I understand it, the upgrade reinstalls linux, so will it handle the changed motherboard, video, sound card, CPU etc?

3. Same as above, but just clean install to the 250GB drive. This is obviously the most work, and it loses my configuration, but that's not so hard to rebuild and will give the cleanest result.

I'd appreciate any thought/comments etc please.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:24 pm 
ffrr wrote:
(is the cache there too?)

There is no more cache partition. "Live" TV recordings are now handled uniformly like any other recording. This has several advantages which have already been covered in great detail elsewhere.

ffrr wrote:
2. Backup the old system, remove the 40GB drive, replace it with the 250 (containing the backup system), boot the R5E50 CD and do an upgrade. Will this work OK? The PC hardware is changed, but, as I understand it, the upgrade reinstalls linux, so will it handle the changed motherboard, video, sound card, CPU etc?

If I understand what you're asking correctly, Yes. I would do the following:
    - Backup following the directions in the R5E50 upgrade hints.
    - Swap the drives on the cable so that the new drive is /dev/hda and the old one is /dev/hdb
    - Boot from the CD and partition the new drive as if for an auto install.
    - (Possibly convert the /myth partition on the new drive (/dev/hda3) to LVM, however, DO NOT add the old drive to the volume group yet!!!)
    - Stop, drop to a shell prompt, and copy the contents of the /myth partition on your old drive (/dev/hdb4) to the new drive (/dev/hda3 or /dev/vg/myth for LVM).
    - Reboot and do an auto upgrade following the directions in the R5E50 Upgrade Hints.

Please see the R5E50 Upgrade hints and hazards thread for more info.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:05 pm 
tjc wrote:
If I understand what you're asking correctly, Yes. I would do the following:
    - Backup following the directions in the R5E50 upgrade hints.
    - Swap the drives on the cable so that the new drive is /dev/hda and the old one is /dev/hdb
    - Boot from the CD and partition the new drive as if for an auto install.
    - (Possibly convert the /myth partition on the new drive (/dev/hda3) to LVM, however, DO NOT add the old drive to the volume group yet!!!)
    - Stop, drop to a shell prompt, and copy the contents of the /myth partition on your old drive (/dev/hdb4) to the new drive (/dev/hda3 or /dev/vg/myth for LVM).
    - Reboot and do an auto upgrade following the directions in the R5E50 Upgrade Hints.
Please see the R5E50 Upgrade hints and hazards thread for more info.

Thanks for the instructions, it makes sense and I can see that it would work.

Thanks also for pointing me to the hints and hazards thread. After reading it however, I am leaning towards doing a nice clean install to avoid any of the complications that may be caused by my old version of knoppmyth. I guess I should update more often :wink:

The only thing I really lose is the list of shows I automatically record regularly (the record schedule I guess).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 pm 
It's really no more complicated. Many of the issues are going to be there even with a fresh install, not to mention that you'd lose all your settings and old recordings.

The hints are supposed to make it smoother not scare you off. :( :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:11 am 
tjc wrote:
It's really no more complicated. Many of the issues are going to be there even with a fresh install, not to mention that you'd lose all your settings and old recordings.

The hints are supposed to make it smoother not scare you off. :( :?

:) You are right, and I might as well try it, because if it all goes south, I can still do a clean install to the hard disk.

One clarification, when you say to partition the disk, as for an auto install, and drop out, is there an obvious way to drop out of the script at that point, or do I ctrl-c out or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:01 pm 
Reporting back to say I have it all working now.

I tried the upgrade, and very nearly got it working. There was some problem in the script and the frontend trying to contact the backend/database on the ip address I used to use on the old machine. Strange, because I gave this new machine the same address, and the old one WAS disconnected. I was going to try to solve that, when the frontend GUI decided to scale to 4 times the screen resolution, making quite hard to use :?

I ended up trying the upgrade twice then,at that point, I cut my losses and reinstalled it fresh. It's all up and working now, both tuners recording, mythfilldatabase bringing in the guide etc. I'll just rebuild the record schedule manually.