View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:41 pm 
I had a working C box and KM installed fine on it - detected everything without any intervention.

I just did an auto-upgrade to E, and after reboot I get two major errors...

One is the 'init:id "c7" respawning too fast : disabled for 5' that hit a lot of people. I haven't even had a chance to tackle that one yet.

The bigger is that I have no network. This is an NForce2 Shuttle MN31N mb using the Internal NIC, which worked fine in C.

I've searched the forums and tried the listed things..

-dmesg shows nothing for eth0

-lcpci shows it exists

-ifconfig only shows loopback

-netcardconfig --force (and without force) shows no supported card

-when I try to do a modprobe forcedeth I get a Fatal modprobe error of "modprobe:FATAL:Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.15-chw2/modules.dep:No such file or directory"
    (UPDATE:Created a modprobe.conf - now I can run modprobe - but it can't find the forcedeth nor nvnet modules - so still no luck there)

-I tried downloading the drivers from NVidia - But they wont install do to not being able to find a kernel module - I can't compile because of no kernel source and wrong gcc version

-I ran install-nvidia-debian.sh 1.0-8776 -force and rebooted - still couldn't find any eth0 cards

Argh!!

..So I am at a complete loss at how to get my NIC working, so I can begin to tackle the other issues.

UPDATE
OK - I copied the kernel source to CD along with the Nvidia and Nforce installs and got the Nvidia/Nforce stuff to install. So - network is now good.

Next - I fixed the 'init:id "c7" respawning too fast problem by following a thread on installing the latest nvidia drivers and updating xorg.conf to get the screen to show in color instead of black and white.

I copied back my asound.conf to get sound working.

Now - I just need to have it record something to see if it records alright. I didn't update ivtv or anything.