View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:40 am 
(First off, I hope this is the right forum, this is actually technically pre-install question for me).

How big id KnoppMyth when freshly installed?

Reason I ask is: I am planning to have knoppmyth on a compact flash card and then have it put all the video recordings on a separate hard drive. Is there something I have to change with the setup to make this work as well? The CompactFlash slot on my motherboard is bootable and meant for things like this.

Should I get a 1 GB or 2 GB flash card for it? Should I instead try to make my own system from something like DSL-N so that it is smaller?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:24 pm 
thaimin wrote:
How big id KnoppMyth when freshly installed?
My R5D1 frontend system uses about 2.5Gb of the 5Gb root partition. While not "fresh", it is a frontend-only system so it is quite indicative of what you should expect.

thaimin wrote:
Reason I ask is: I am planning to have knoppmyth on a compact flash card
You probably don't want to do this, as flash media is not rated for a huge number of writes (search Google, you'll see what I mean). I assume you are planning on this system to house the database as well as the media - If so, your CF card will constantly be written to by updates to the database, logging, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:56 pm 
thaimin wrote:
Reason I ask is: I am planning to have knoppmyth on a compact flash card
You probably don't want to do this, as flash media is not rated for a huge number of writes (search Google, you'll see what I mean). I assume you are planning on this system to house the database as well as the media - If so, your CF card will constantly be written to by updates to the database, logging, etc.[/quote]

If this is a concern you may just consider putting the /var directory on a hard drive partition. Since this is not an option during the install it is not quite a simple thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:00 pm 
Site Admin
thaimin,
what I did for a similar function was to use a cloop image of the filesystem (like is used on the installation cd) so a 1 GB flash drive was plenty big for that. Then what I did it was to do an install to an sda disk as that was what the flash was gonna' be during the boot and copy the installed tree, less a few directories like /proc, sys, dev, tmp and such (and clean out /var/log) to another place and create the full tree there. Then build the cloop of that. Had to create the booting stuff separately (initrd & such) then copy it all to the fat32 flash.
That way the cloop and the flash don't get written during the running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:32 pm 
Hi Dale,

Would you by chance happen to have some basic (simple) method of adding the few modules into initrd.gz needed to make a usb drive boot? Mine starts but ends up with a kernel panic. I thought somewhere in the recent past (6 months) it had been covered as a "howto" however it may have been an error in the memory cells as I have had no luck locating the post :(

With Sata and eSata becoming so readily available at really affordable prices ( $200 for 750gig! ) this might be something others could use also.

Thanks
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:40 pm 
You could also look at running a diskless frontend, that may be another option.