View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: KnoppMyth Boot Issues
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:28 am 
i just upgraded to the latest KnoppMyth version. it's been a while, and i've since forgotten everything i learned about linux during my early mythtv experiences. so, i'd appreciate very detailed help on the following issues:

1) i get a 'you passed an undefined mode number' error when i boot the system. i've chosen modes, and it continues. but every time i boot, it's back.
2) i need to change the mythtv user password as it is still the default. i don't get a login prompt, so i assume there is some sort of auto-login happening. so, i suppose i will need to change something there too.

i'll keep searching for the answers but also appreciate your help. thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:46 am 
beanstalk wrote:
1) i get a 'you passed an undefined mode number' error when i boot the system. i've chosen modes, and it continues. but every time i boot, it's back.

As root, edit you /etc/lilo.conf and fix the line at the beginning that says "vga=<something>" (probably 788) to say "vga=normal", then run "lilo"

beanstalk wrote:
2) i need to change the mythtv user password as it is still the default. i don't get a login prompt, so i assume there is some sort of auto-login happening. so, i suppose i will need to change something there too.

You don't really need to worry about the auto-login since that's only at the console and anyone who has physical access to that has far more direct ways to get root on the system. As for the password, hit Alt-X on the GUI and type "passwd" in the window that appears and just follow the prompts.

See this page for more: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:15 am 
very helpful, especially the linux basics! thank you! it's starting to come back to me now.

i found one other error message that i would like to correct. i would assume that the issue is with my lilo.conf file, although, i have not been able to find the problem myself.

here is the message that i get when i boot: suspend2 - missing or invalid storage location (resume2=parameter) please correct and run lilo before suspending.

i was going to include my lilo.conf file, but i really couldn't figure out how to do that. :)

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:03 pm 
Search for a recent post by Dale that mentions "resume2", it contains the fix.