View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:22 am 
Hi,

I'm having difficulties getting a connection to my backend mythbox using the 'Frontend only' option on the Boot CD on other computers. I've gone through the required steps I've been able to find, those being:

- I have the IP address specified in the 'General' section of the backend settings
- I've commented out the 'bind address' line in the mysql config file on the backend (I'm using R5E50 btw).

Now I can get my xbox to connect using the xboxmediacenter python script (having problems getting Live TV working, but everything else is fine), and I can also connect to the backend from my xp pc using MythTVPlayer. So it seems as though all the backend is set up fine, but when I try and use the KnoppMyth CD to boot into a frontend, I have no luck whatsoever.

The network details are:
IP of the backend is 192.168.1.242
IP of the pc I'm booting from I specify as 192.168.1.241
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.254 (my router)
Broadcast IP of 192.168.1.255 (have also been trying 255.255.255.255)

Using those settings KnoppMyth boots into the GUI, but then nothing happens at all. If I run netstat it takes a long time for it to show the connection, but it does shows a mysql connection to the backend. Pinging the backend ip results in continual timeouts, so it seems like some strange networking issue. I'm getting the exact same behaviour booting on a laptop and a desktop (the desktop is able to connect in XP using MythTVPlayer).

Edit: Just tried some connectivity tests:

- XP pc could ping both the backend , the frontend pc, & the gateway

- Backend could ping the XP pc & the gateway but not the frontend pc

- Frontend pc couldn't ping anything.

I don't get 'Destination host unreachable' when I try and ping the frontend pc from the backend, and vice versa, just timeouts. Yet the XP box can ping both machines fine. If I watch the network socket on the frontend pc I can see the ping traffic coming in from the the backend pc, but it seems that the backend doesn't get a response.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on - I'm still a complete Linux noob which isn't helping.

Thanks.

EDIT: Got it working thanks to a Linux / networking guru mate - turns out the MTU setting on the ethernet adaptor on the frontend was way low - 64, setting it to 1500 fixed the problem.