View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 pm 
I recently decided to upgrade my mythbox from R5C7 to R5E50. During the process I have encountered three major issues, only one of which I have been able to resolve.

I performed a backup under R5C7 and then ran the R5E50 auto-upgrade; however my internal NIC was not recognized. After trying everything I can think of or find on the forums I resorted to installing a 3com NIC and now it seems to be working fine. I can ping the outside and mythweather seems to be working (for the radar), etc. (So I think that this is working)

The install seemed to have been successful; however, there are two major issues that I can not resolve and have made R5E50 unusable for me:

1) Any time I try to watch TV or a video I get the "Backend not started" error. I have tried editing the mythtv-backend file to remove the erroneous if statement. I have also tried stoping and starting the myth backend. No matter what I have tried I continue to get this message. I have tried running and re-running the mythtv-setup to make sure that I didn't misconfigure anything; however, I am at a loss! Any ideas???

2) When running mythtv-setup I get an error that it could not find the "/mnt/store/" any ideas here?

I have been combing the forums for the past three evenings and can't seem to find the answer to my issues on my own, so please help me.

Sincerely,

Brent

CPU: Intel Celeron 3.2 Ghz
RAM: 512MB DDR2
Videocard: GeForce4 MX 440
TV Tuner: Hauppauge 350
Harddisk: 2 x WD 200GB
NIC: 3com 3c905x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:28 pm 
bjordan72 wrote:
I recently decided to upgrade my mythbox from R5C7 to R5E50. During the process I have encountered three major issues, only one of which I have been able to resolve.

I performed a backup under R5C7 and then ran the R5E50 auto-upgrade; however my internal NIC was not recognized. After trying everything I can think of or find on the forums I resorted to installing a 3com NIC and now it seems to be working fine. I can ping the outside and mythweather seems to be working (for the radar), etc. (So I think that this is working)

The install seemed to have been successful; however, there are two major issues that I can not resolve and have made R5E50 unusable for me:

1) Any time I try to watch TV or a video I get the "Backend not started" error. I have tried editing the mythtv-backend file to remove the erroneous if statement. I have also tried stoping and starting the myth backend. No matter what I have tried I continue to get this message. I have tried running and re-running the mythtv-setup to make sure that I didn't misconfigure anything; however, I am at a loss! Any ideas???

2) When running mythtv-setup I get an error that it could not find the "/mnt/store/" any ideas here?

I have been combing the forums for the past three evenings and can't seem to find the answer to my issues on my own, so please help me.

Sincerely,

Brent

Hi Brent,

2) The /mnt/store problem is easily resolved. Go into Utilities/Settings -> Setup -> Media Settings -> Videos Settings -> General Settings and change the directory to /myth/video.

1) Have a look at the log file. It's at /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log (I think). It should give a few clues as to why it won't start at startup. A tip is to do an "Alt 3" to send a restart, but if you want to fix it, you'll need to know why it's failing. Could be a compatability issue or customisation issue (did you customise it?).
There is a script called "babysit-backend" that someone on the forums wrote to make sure it stayed up. You might want to try this rather than investigating, if you want it working 'yesterday'.

The internal NIC can probably be fixed by manually inserting the appropriate module. What does lspci say about it?

Tell me how you go.

Mike

PS. Actually, had you auto-installed the previous version and performed a knoppmyth-backup prior to auto-upgrading? If you didn't, it would explain why the video path is wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:25 pm 
bjordan72 wrote:

Sounds like a misconfigured hostname or IP address. Have you check using ps and netstat to see if the server is up and listening on the right ports? The advice to check the log files is also on my short list.

bjordan72 wrote:

This sounds like your restore failed or you used the wrong hostname. The advice already provided by manicmike on this count is also right on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:03 pm 
I just tried similarly to upgrade my R5C7, and my restore failed too. Is it worth trying to salvage, or should I just give up and do an auto-install?

Edit: on a related note, if I give up and do an auto-install, does the "restore-lvm.sh" script still work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:58 pm 
ceenvee703 wrote:
I just tried similarly to upgrade my R5C7, and my restore failed too. Is it worth trying to salvage, or should I just give up and do an auto-install?

Let me know what your specific errors are and I'll advise on possible recovery methods.

ceenvee703 wrote:
Edit: on a related note, if I give up and do an auto-install, does the "restore-lvm.sh" script still work?

Yikes! NO! Auto Install wipes the whole disk. You will lose your LVM volume if it includes any partitions on the primary install drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:15 pm 
My most recent install using the "KnoppMythR5E50.iso" the backend does not start on its own, and I get the back end not reachable error stuff... however if i use the short cut key I can start it manually.....

Would that be some thing listed in a log file some where on why it’s not starting at boot?

64Meg Nvidia PCI-E LP W/Video out
Dual WinTV-PVR-150MCE-LP
200Gig U-ATA/100 Hard Drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:40 pm 
This is covered in the R5E50 upgrade hints.

Along with the issue and fix described there, I suspect there's a race at the end of the install/upgrade setup phase when it restarts the mysql db server, the lirc server and the myth backend server. If the mysql server is taking a long time to come up, the backend may be looking for it before it's ready. With the fix this is not a problem in regular operations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:49 pm 
Sorry to post an update so late, but I wanted to update the thread to let everyone know that everything is now working (almost)!

manicmike - Thank you very much, your comment on how to fix the "/mnt/store/" issue worked perfectly!

That said, I continued to have trouble with the backend starting. I kept thinking about comment from TJC regarding the database not restoring and decided to go back and re-read TJC's guide (http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13108). While I had been very careful to do a backup prior to performing the upgrade, I had not checked to see what all was contained in the backup directory. I removed all extraneous files from the directory with the exception of the last backup that I had performed just prior to the upgrade. Once I had done this, I performed the auto-upgrade one last time and it worked! This was also noted by a much, much, longer install time while the database was being restored. After this last upgrade I no longer had the backend not started issue.

I did have some other minor issues, most of which could be resolved by following the instructions in TJC's guide:

1) LIRC setup - My Hauppauge Silver Remote was not working after the setup. Fixed this by referring to the guide and also restoring from my previous lirc files.
2) Unknown Channel issues - resolved this issue by dropping my cable provider input in the mythtv-setup and the re-adding it.
3) Mythweather not working - resolved by following the fix posted in the wiki.

I am still having a few minor issues that I hope to resolve in the next few weeks:

1) GUI is very slow/choppy on certain setup screens - CPU utilization seems high. I think that this is due to improper nvidia configuration (I am running the Geforce4 MX440 - I think). When I tried to update my nvidia drivers to the 1.0-9755 rev per the wiki article (UpdateNvidiaDrivers) it failed saying that my card was unsupported. I installed the 1.0-9631 rev instead, but it is still very choppy - much worse than my r5c7 install that worked fine. Any recommendations? Or shall I just get a new/better card??

2) Audio settings for line-in are not restoring on reboot. I have saved the settings, but they're never restored on reboot and this causes my 350 card audio not to work properly... I'll figure out... eventually :)

3) MythVideo playing without sound. I changed from the internal player to xine with success, but the choppiness of my video card is causing a dropped frames error.

4) Lastly, not an issue, but I have to figure out how to connect my already-installed second hard-drive... on the to-do list.

All that said, I am 95% functional at this point and thanks again manicmike and TJC... you pointed me in the right direction!!!

Sincerely,

Brent

CPU: Intel Celeron 3.2 Ghz
RAM: 512MB DDR2
Videocard: GeForce4 MX 440
TV Tuner: Hauppauge 350
Harddisk: 2 x WD 200GB
NIC: 3com 3c905x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:48 am 
bjordan72 wrote:
1) GUI is very slow/choppy on certain setup screens - CPU utilization seems high. I think that this is due to improper nvidia configuration (I am running the Geforce4 MX440 - I think). When I tried to update my nvidia drivers to the 1.0-9755 rev per the wiki article (UpdateNvidiaDrivers) it failed saying that my card was unsupported. I installed the 1.0-9631 rev instead, but it is still very choppy - much worse than my r5c7 install that worked fine. Any recommendations? Or shall I just get a new/better card??

Frankly using the legacy driver would be my recommendation.
Code:
install-nvidia-debian.sh 1.0.7184 -force

bjordan72 wrote:
2) Audio settings for line-in are not restoring on reboot. I have saved the settings, but they're never restored on reboot and this causes my 350 card audio not to work properly... I'll figure out... eventually :)

You need to enable loading them, I believe by making sure that the /etc/init.d/alsa and /etc/init.d/alsa-utils scripts are executed for the appropriate runlevels.

bjordan72 wrote:
4) Lastly, not an issue, but I have to figure out how to connect my already-installed second hard-drive... on the to-do list.

Connect in what sense? Physically? Or are you just talking about mounting it somewhere appropriate? Or are you talking about turning it into an LVM volume? This wiki page contains some general ideas and info: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=AdditionalHarddriveHowTo