View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:38 pm 
Hi,
It would seem that I have successfully accomplished an autoinstallation of KnoppMyth on my old VIA EPIA M6000 board.

However I do have some questions, as I am a 100% Linux newbie ;-)

1:
How and where do I edit files? I can see in this forum that I need to edit some files related to LIRC as I can't get my mceusb2 remote to work by default.

2:
How can I see if the KnoppMyth is using my VIA mpeg2 hardware decodning? Will i have to play a DVD and watch if the quality is low or can i see some status while playing, that will show me the cpu usage in %?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:01 am 
KaNo wrote:
Hi,
It would seem that I have successfully accomplished an autoinstallation of KnoppMyth on my old VIA EPIA M6000 board.

However I do have some questions, as I am a 100% Linux newbie ;-)

1:
How and where do I edit files? I can see in this forum that I need to edit some files related to LIRC as I can't get my mceusb2 remote to work by default.

2:
How can I see if the KnoppMyth is using my VIA mpeg2 hardware decodning? Will i have to play a DVD and watch if the quality is low or can i see some status while playing, that will show me the cpu usage in %?

Hi,

Congratulations :-) Knoppmyth is fabulous.

1. I'd strongly advise that as a newbie you don't manually edit config files, unless you're either extremely brave or very technical. Instead, log in as root ("su -") and run lirc-reconfig.sh and select your remote control.

That said, if you still want to edit files, do this:
You can edit files in a terminal. Alt+x opens one on your screen. You can switch between this and the myth frontend with alt-tab. Some files can only be edited by the root user, so type "su -" then enter the root password. Everything you edit after getting the "#" prompt will be done as root. If you don't need to be root, don't use it, and log off as root as soon as you no longer need to be root (really - Microsoft's refusal to implement this is a major reason it's so easy to spread digital diseases on Windows). You don't need it when you're editing anything in the mythtv home directory (eg the lirc client conf file, which is /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc), but you do when outside of /home/mythtv. The backend files are all located in /etc/lirc/ and thus may only be edited by root.
Edit files with nano. You can type (as root) "nano /etc/lirc/lircd.conf" for example, to edit the config file. If you know vi, edit with this (or better, vim, which has syntax highlighting).

2. Set the hardware decoding in Utilities/Setup -> Settings -> TV Settings -> Playback for mpeg decoding, and choose the via XvMC setting.

Good luck.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:04 pm 
Mike,

thanks very much for the great help on getting started using KnoppMyth ;-)

I had some trouble getting nano to save my edited configuration, but then I turned to vim and things went much easier.

Even if I enabled the mpeg2 support for VIA i get an error message on a lot of dropped frames and the picture stutters a lot. I guess it didn't do the trick and I'm thinking that maybe the M6000 just isn't powerfull enough to play dvd's (thank god I have a sony dvd-hdd recorder).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:24 pm 
Make sure that you have dma enabled on your dvd drive. Depending on your drive name you can type:

Code:
hdparm /dev/dvd
to see if it is enabled.

If it is not you can type:

Code:
hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

Memo - Corsair VS512MB533D2 512MB DDR2-533
Hard D - Hitachi T7K500 250GB Serial ATA
Wireless - Netgear wg311
Tuner Card - PVR-150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:34 pm 
wmcvetty wrote:
Make sure that you have dma enabled on your dvd drive. Depending on your drive name you can type:

Code:
hdparm /dev/dvd
to see if it is enabled.

If it is not you can type:

Code:
hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd

Thanke very much, it seems to have done the trick. The DMA was in fact set to 0 and by changing it to 1, the dvd now plays much smoother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:30 am 
Since no one else seems to have pointed you to the wiki yet for info on how to do various things - http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips

The troubleshooting pages there are also a major resource - http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=TroubleShooting

Ugh. I jiust realized you posted this under installation. All of this is considered post install configuration, as such Cecil will most likely delete this thread as off topic. He does warn folks about this in the sticky postings.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2696
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3195

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:09 pm 
Is there some way I can copy it all into the Tier1, as others might be interested in a successfull installation story on VIA EPIA M6000 board ;-)