View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:04 pm 
I must tranplant my KM HDD from a Dell Dimension 4100 to a Dell Poweredge1600SC. I am assuming that KM will work with Xeon 2.8 Ghz CPUs. I think I need to reinstall KM on the small 4.7 (hda) partition and the rest of my recordings \ videos will remain in tact on the larger partition. My search did not produce anything that would guide me in performing the re-install.

I actually have two HDDs: a 40GB for testing and 200GB for 'production'. I tried 'upgrading' the 40GB on the Poweredge 1600SC and the feedback was that it successfully installed. I tried to reboot, however, I have incurred a strange problem where the BIOS is complaining that the Primary HDD + Secondary HDD is not found and gives option to continue or run the setup utility. A quick check in the BIOS reveals that the HDD is visibile and leads me to believe that the IDE controller is doing its job.
A check of the boot sequence includes: 1) HDD 2) CD ROM 3) floppy. I am unsure if this error message is BIOS configure problem (I tend to believe that it is). If I select continue KM boots, so it must be a problem specific to the machine's BIOS.

I was hoping one of the senior board members would be able to point me in the right direction: I am hoping that checking with someone more knowledgeable will save me from boogering up my disk. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:01 am 
It might be worthwhile checking what the boot order is, as some machines may be set to SATA as default.
Also check on the old machine what way the drive is configured (LBA etc) it would see the drive but not the data and probably not the partitions.

In extremis, check that they are connected to the correct port(s). Sometimes what appears to be sensible order on the MB is not the one it actually is.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:17 pm 
Site Admin
This has been discussed before... Backup on the old hardware,auto upgrade on the new hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:54 pm 
For example there's a long detailed discussion of this topic in the sticky thread about how to get the most out of the "new" backup and restore utilities...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:59 am 
Also see this thread:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=#81400