View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: booting problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:12 pm 
I'm trying to install R5F1 using the auto install. Everything installs fine, but when I reboot I only get a blinking _ in the left corner. Shouldn't I see some text from the boot manager or something?
I'm using a Dell 2.4 ghz p4, Nvidia4 mx 420. I have read about needing to install drivers for the card, but I never even get a lilo prompt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:44 pm 
what hardware are you using? Did you try booting with the "intelfix" option?

Thanks,

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:21 am 
It's an old Dell Dimension 2.4 ghz P4, Maxtor 30 gb ide hardrive, Nvidia Geforce4 MX 420 64 mb video card, 512 mb ram.
The motherboard uses the Intel 850 or 850E chipset.

No I didn't try that boot option. What's the best way to try it if I don't even see lilo responding? It's been a long time since I've setup a linux box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:42 pm 
Are you able to install from cd at all? Or do you get the blinking cursor after initial install?

Regardless tho a 30 gig HD is going to be a problem for you. You'll need more space immediately.

Abby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:10 pm 
The install went fine. Everything was recognized, the drive partitioned, all files seemingly copied alright. Once the installation was complete and ready to reboot the first time from the hard drive, it never got past the blinking cursor in the top left.
I'm not planning on using a pvr card at the moment, and primarily interested in using the other features of mythtv. I plan on mounting a network drive that has additional storage via samba.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:32 pm 
Most likely the lilo install didn't take for some reason. Check out the Troubleshhoting pages on the wiki for details of how to use the CD as a rescue disk and fix this.

OBTW - More hardware details might help. There are couple of known oddities with certain IDE configurations. Some Drive/BIOS combinations need to be jumpered MA/SL and others need CS/CS and the proper cables. My old Shuttle box wouldn't boot until I got the right combination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:06 am 
Thanks for the tips. Lilo was getting confused during the analysis of the partitions on the second drive in the system. After getting that fixed everything worked fine from there. I need to just shake the rust off my linux skills. It's been a while.