View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:50 pm 
Hi,

I attempted to upgrade my KnoppMyth R5E50 to R5F1 today using the Auto Upgrade. However, I realized that when I initially set up this machine, I had manually partitioned it with only two partitions: /dev/hda1 as swap, and /dev/hda2 as everything else. The auto upgrade failed, saying that /dev/hda1 was too small. My solution was to shrink /dev/hda2, and create a new partition, /dev/hda3, in the newly-freed space, where I would manually install and upgrade KnoppMyth.

After installing KnoppMyth to /dev/hda3 successfully and installing LILO te the MBR, I reboot and receive the LILO error code "L 99 99 99 (etc.)" (something to do with second-stage loader). I have tried reinstalling LILO after booting the KnoppMyth CD again, and I have tried reinstalling KnoppMyth to /dev/hda3 again, and neither has worked.

My lilo.conf file has "boot=/dev/hda" and "root=/dev/hda3".

My disk is now laid out something like this:

/dev/hda1 0.5 GB swap
/dev/hda2 465 GB (old KnoppMyth installation, including /myth)
/dev/hda3 6 GB (new KnoppMyth installation)

/dev/hda3 is marked as bootable.
The shrinking of /dev/hda2 appears to have worked, because I can mount it and browse its contents.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like to not have to move all the content (about 450 GB) to another machine, wipe the disk, and start over.

Thanks,

Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:43 am 
Try booting from the cd, get to a command prompt, and type:
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3
chroot /mnt/hda3 lilo
reboot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:29 am 
I've done that a few times, to no avail. Not sure if it means anything, but I had to do "mount -o dev /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3" to avoid a "permission denied" error when I ran lilo.

I am thinking that maybe I should just move all the data onto a different drive, and repartition and reinstall - that way I'd be able to use AutoUpgrade in the future. Unless anyone has any other ideas...

Post subject: ext3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:07 pm 
I had something similar happen to me when I was cloning and resizing a partition as I copied it.
(see http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=)

I believe that since all the Knoppmyth partitions are now ext3, you must perform new ext3-specific commands.

This is what I did (logged in as root) to fix LILO after the 99 99 99 99 99 error". As mentioned by the other person, I used the Knoppmyth cd and exited out to a command line so I could type the following:
Code:
sudo fsck.ext3 -f /dev/hda1
mkdir /mnt/partition1
mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/hda1 /mnt/partition1
chroot /mnt/partition1
cd /boot
/sbin/lilo -v
exit
reboot

Good luck!

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject: no luck
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:32 pm 
No luck. LILO appeared to install correctly, though I did get a warning about "/proc/partitions" not existing. Upon reboot, same L 99 99... error.

I'm just going to move all the data off the drive, and partition it correctly this time. This also has the added advantage of allowing me to use Auto Upgrade in the future (and forcing me to delete stuff I don't need). That'll teach me to fool with the default partition scheme!

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:40 pm 
Site Admin
Well, 'man lilo' says that the 99 error is "invalid second stage index sector". So it sounds like when you installed Lilo you got an error message that you ignored.
What I would do in that case is:
1) Boot the install CD,
2) switch to an alternate Virtual Terminal or exit out of the menu,
3) 'mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3'
4) 'cd /mnt/hda3'
5) 'mount --bind /proc proc'
6) 'mount --bind /dev dev'
7) 'lilo -r .'

All without the quotes, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:05 pm 
Dale wrote:
Well, 'man lilo' says that the 99 error is "invalid second stage index sector". So it sounds like when you installed Lilo you got an error message that you ignored.
What I would do in that case is:
1) Boot the install CD,
2) switch to an alternate Virtual Terminal or exit out of the menu,
3) 'mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3'
4) 'cd /mnt/hda3'
5) 'mount --bind /proc proc'
6) 'mount --bind /dev dev'
7) 'lilo -r .'

All without the quotes, of course.

Since it's an ext3 file system, shouldn't step 3 be:
Code:
3) 'mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3'

:?:

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:10 pm 
Yeah, you can do that too, but it should auto-detect without any problem.

Post subject: Final failure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:41 pm 
I combined the suggestions of the previous posts in one final attempt to fix this. If you're interested, here was my sequence of commands:

Code:
mount /dev/hda3
cd /media/hda3
mount --bind /proc proc
mount --bind /dev dev
chroot ./
lilo -v
reboot

The output of the lilo command appeared to be normal - there were no warnings or error messages. As I mentioned before, the relevant lilo.conf file (found in /media/hda3/etc/) had "boot=/dev/hda" and "root=/dev/hda3".

Upon reboot, I still received the "L 99 99..." error.

Last night, I copied over the entire /myth directory to another machine (with the help of a great little program called "wput"), and I have just finished reinstalling R5F1 with the default partition layout. It boots without issue. After copying /myth back over and restoring my backup, I should be good to go. In any case, thanks to all for your suggestions.