View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:03 pm 
My machine told me today that my OS drive is headed for imminent failure, via the SMART reporting.

Happily, my video drive is in tact.

I was running R5C7 for the last year and a half or so. With the exception of the occasional (maybe once a month) frontend crash (which just required ALT-M to restart it), I had no issues.

Should I reinstall R5C7 since had good luck with it, or should I upgrade to R5F1?

Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:37 pm 
Unless, I misread, I think there is a new version due out "shortly". Might be worth waiting..... I think the target was somewhere in August (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd say that newer version is better likely.... I'd certainly be looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:49 pm 
Hi,

Be sure to read tjc's excellent guide in the Hints&Tips. Jumping from R5C7 to R5F1 was not fully graceful, at least not for me.

IF you have extra stuff apt-gotten, be sure to make a folder in your myth partition and save the archive debs as you will not be able to apt-get anything without breaking your system because of needing "## Updates" ! Don't forget to do a mythbackup (as root) and write down your hostname, a crayon will work fine for that task and is easy to read later :)

cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb to some safe place (/myth/tools/debs/ ?) then after your system rebuild you can simply cd into that safe storage space and run dpkg -i *.deb to recover those golden tools. I usually run it twice so everything has a chance to be happy.

My main KM machine is still R5C7, I mapped the green power button on a 415 doggie bone to restart the frontend as sometimes it does hiccup and I hate to have to run all the way down to the cellar just to press alt M :)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:08 pm 
Upgrade to R5F1. For a long time R5C7 was the gold standard that all other KnoppMyth builds got measured against, but IMO R5F1 is the new high water mark.

Quite simply it handles more hardware, was better documented from day one, is easier to set up, will give you better and more reliable SDTV and HDTV recordings, has more fixes and enhancements than I can count, ... just flat out better.

- The long standing ivtv DMA problems have been fixed which means a far lower percentage of glitched recordings.

- The lossless transcoding has been improved and made much more reliable, not only have I not had it fail yet, but it even worked for recordings that the old version heaved up it's shoelaces on.

- Utilities like myth.rebuilddatabase.pl have been improved to the point that you can actually recover all your recordings after a DB disaster like upgrading without a backup.

I could go on for pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 pm 
You speak glowingly enough -- I'm considering upgrading just to share in the love!

Thanks for the suggestion on saving the .debs -- that's the one major complaint I've had with upgrades. Don't know why I didn't think of that pain-saving step myself.

Excuse me while I go download an iso

Home-Brewed Mythic Dragon Clone
200GB WD IDE /myth
2x250GB WD IDE (lvm) /myth/tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:42 pm 
Hi

I think you will like R5F1. Keep in mind the debs are only for the version you first installed them into. ie, saving the debs for R5C7 is a good idea in case you ever wish to install R5C7 sometime in the future (different hardware etc) however they will not work for R5F1. You will have to get them again for the new version.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:58 pm 
Hi,

As an after thought, since the drive isn't dead why not get a copy of gparted-clonezilla and clone the / over to a newer drive. the keep the original as a backup / spare.

Mike