View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:46 pm 
Being rather green in the area of Linux (have done installs of RH a few times) I wanted to ask a few questions here before I begin my install. No doubt more questions will follow, but I promise to use the search function first.

1-Are the CLE266 (the good ones) included in the distribution?
2-Will I have to turn my Actisys 200L into a bondage device ? (and find another blaster) I have one of those Scientific Atlanta Digital STB's.

Alright, I appreciate your help.

StuartAmbient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:16 am 
1.No
2.What you do in your bedroom is your business. :oops: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=91268;search_string=lirc;guest=1632095&t=search_engine#91268

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:09 am 
cesman wrote:

Apparently what I'll be doing in my bedroom is trying to get LIRC to see my crappy IR Blaster.

Since this is the KnoppMyth forum I won't dare ask if I"m better of going with a full blow Linux distro. So let me ask twist the situation around and ask this [these]:

1-Will I be able to get those reversed engineered video drivers installed with what is provided in KnoppMyth?

2-I'm assuming R4 is not in synch with Mythtv 0.12. Otherwise the drivers would be there ? If that is so, is there a way to get 0.12 installed ?

Thanks
StuartAmbient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:17 am 
KnoppMyth is a full blown Linux distro. It is just geared toward being used as a set-top box.

1. The current drivers from Via are binary and geared toward Redhat(I don't have a Epia, so I maybe mistaken). Since I don't have a Epia, I don't know. Check the forums on viaarena.com. Folks have gotten the drivers to work with Debian.

2. You assume wrong. KnoppMyth does come with 0.12. Myth can be build to support the Via's hardware but build it is dependent on having the Via drivers. So if you do get the Via drivers working, you'll have to recompile Myth to support the drivers.

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:15 am 
cesman wrote:
KnoppMyth is a full blown Linux distro. It is just geared toward being used as a set-top box.

1. The current drivers from Via are binary and geared toward Redhat(I don't have a Epia, so I maybe mistaken). Since I don't have a Epia, I don't know. Check the forums on viaarena.com. Folks have gotten the drivers to work with Debian.

2. You assume wrong. KnoppMyth does come with 0.12. Myth can be build to support the Via's hardware but build it is dependent on having the Via drivers. So if you do get the Via drivers working, you'll have to recompile Myth to support the drivers.

cesman

cesman,

Thanks for all the responses. At this point I really want to go with KnoppMyth, but I came across this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4124 in another post. Will I have to go through this to get the i586 support ? Then as you said in that thread I'd no longer be using KnoppMyth. Along those lines can I even get it to install properly without the above method?

My understand is it would be more then just a rebuild on Myth as all the other packages would be / could be effected by incorrect proc config.

As long as I have you on the line :)
Going ahead with the install with just a TV-out setup, it's written "Note: You'll still need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to change the refresh rate or you CAN destroy your TV".

When do I get the chance to edit the XF86Config-4 file. Does it need to be done before booting from the CD , or during the install process. Basically I don't want to destroy my TV.

Thanks and sorry for jamming you up with all these questions.
Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:37 am 
StuartAmbient wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. At this point I really want to go with KnoppMyth, but I came across this http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4124 in another post. Will I have to go through this to get the i586 support ? Then as you said in that thread I'd no longer be using KnoppMyth. Along those lines can I even get it to install properly without the above method?
You're welcome. No you don't have to follow those directs. Just follow along w/ the install script after you reboot and choose i586.
StuartAmbient wrote:
My understand is it would be more then just a rebuild on Myth as all the other packages would be / could be effected by incorrect proc config.
If you get the Via drivers installed and working, then all you have to rebuild in MythTV. None of the other modules need/use the Via drivers.
StuartAmbient wrote:
As long as I have you on the line :)
Going ahead with the install with just a TV-out setup, it's written "Note: You'll still need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to change the refresh rate or you CAN destroy your TV".

When do I get the chance to edit the XF86Config-4 file. Does it need to be done before booting from the CD , or during the install process. Basically I don't want to destroy my TV.

If you are installing when connected to a monitor then after rebooting you can edit the file. If you are installing when connected to a TV, you can do so before rebooting. You'll need to chroot, if you search the board you can find directions on doing so.
StuartAmbient wrote:
Thanks and sorry for jamming you up with all these questions.
Stuart
You're welcome. I help where I can...

cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:30 pm 
cesman wrote:

If you get the Via drivers installed and working, then all you have to rebuild in MythTV. None of the other modules need/use the Via drivers

If you are installing when connected to a monitor then after rebooting you can edit the file. If you are installing when connected to a TV, you can do so before rebooting. You'll need to chroot, if you search the board you can find directions on doing so.

cesman

I hate to ask this and I promise at some point in the near future to be of more value here but can anyone tell me:

1-How do I get the Via drivers working. I downloaded them (42k??) as a tgz.
2-How do I rebuid MythTV? MythTV page has pointers only to the main distros.
3-Do I edit XF86Config-4 with VI ? or something else ?

Thanks
Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:07 pm 
StuartAmbient wrote:
1-How do I get the Via drivers working. I downloaded them (42k??) as a tgz.
I don't know, I don't have a Epia. Did you check the viaarena forum?
StuartAmbient wrote:
2-How do I rebuid MythTV? MythTV page has pointers only to the main distros.
You compile it in the same manner. You'll need to change pentiumpro in settings.pro to i586, you'll also need to uncomment the item(s) about Via(located near the botom of)in settings.pro.
StuartAmbient wrote:
3-Do I edit XF86Config-4 with VI ? or something else ?

vi is my editor of choice but you can install any editor you choose and use that.
StuartAmbient wrote:
Thanks
Stuart

You're welcome,
cesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:49 pm 
[quote="cesman"
I don't know, I don't have a Epia. Did you check the viaarena forum?

2-How do I rebuid MythTV? MythTV page has pointers only to the main distros.[/quote]You compile it in the same manner. You'll need to change pentiumpro in settings.pro to i586, you'll also need to uncomment the item(s) about Via(located near the botom of)in settings.pro.
cesman[/quote]

Viaarena is suprisingly weak on any posts or articles aobut installing the drivers. However I found a link on sympatico which is somewhat helpful. I downloaded what is called "distribution independent" but yet there are directories for mandrak, redhat and suse. I was getting errors on install., mostly from /pentiumpro. Installation notes has various links and configurations that supposedly need to be set. If I can figure out how to copy in xterm, I can post them to confirm perhaps things that could break Knopp.

When I installed KnoppMyth I did check off i586 but I guess it needs to be changed somewhere else as well? I'll keep chugging away, can't be that far off from getting them installed.

StuartAmbient