View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:33 pm 
Hi All,

The other night i ran the R5F27 auto upgrade, and it all went swimmingly. I'm not sure if i'm getting better or the installer is getting slicker.. more likely the installer.. :)

Everything on my system just works on KM upgrades apart from the following where i need to apply a few tweaks.
1) The custom /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh fussy BIOS setting changes i need to make to ensure mythwelcome can shutdown/wakeup using ACPI
2) My remote. I have an Avermedia DVBT 777 card, and use that remote. I currently copy over my lircrc, lirc.conf files, edit the hardware.conf file and manually create the lircd file/daemon. This i have been doing since before R5E50. Works a treat.

My question is.... Is there a more efficient way to implement these two changes on install/upgrade than doing it manually? Am i missing something (doing something wrong) with the LIRC setup that occurs with the KM installer?

Lastly, thanks to all the KM testing community for making such a robust and upgradeable myth distribution. What the nay-sayers don't understand is that for people using KM, the upgrade functionality is top notch, so you get the new mythtv functionality, but also all your settings/viewing history are retained... all so simple, done within the hour!...

Thanks

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:09 pm 
Site Admin
Search for a thread by tjc on using the backup/restore list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:45 pm 
Hi Cecil,

Thanks for the reply, ive been meaning to get my head into the backup/restore stuff for a while.

In your experience are any of the KM installed files i specified (hwclock.sh and lirc) likely to change between KM versions? Should I be wary of restoring my old files over newer files that have changed in content/purpose between R5F27 and R6x? For example, I wouldn't want my restore to wipe out a new hwclock.sh that has stuff in it that is new and important for the new release. Or am i being overly cautious?

Cheers,

Nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:22 am 
Site Admin
What hwclock.sh? This isn't included by default. Whatever script you have, you should be able to backup and restore w/o issue. In terms of R6, there has been no discuss yet as to how we'll auto upgrade from R5 to R6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:48 pm 
Hi again,

I need to modify /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh following the fussy BIOS part of ACPI wakeup
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup

I now know its not part of KM, but my question was more of a general one about which files to backup/restore and which ones to manually edit.

I guess the point is, that if you know enough to be backing up/restoring you should know about which files to do it to..

Thanks for you help... and for all your work on KM.

Cheers,

Nathan