View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:46 pm 
After having some issues/difficulties getting my DVB card up with the last release, and knowing a new release was imminent, I parked things for a while until R5F27 came out. After attempting an install I now have another interesting problem right off the bat...

Under the last release, my specified install command line was

Code:
knoppmyth TV expert

This allowed an install and, when I switched to a virtual console with CTRL-ALT-F1 I got a readable command prompt. (I should mention I'm using an nVidia FX 5200 card.) Now when trying to open a virtual console, I get a scambled/unreadable screen. The MythTV interface is okay.

It seems obvious that the Xorg config file picked the wrong modeline for me. If I can't get a legible console how can I edit/correct it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:02 pm 
How far into the install did it get before you can't see anything? What happens if you do a alt+ctrl+F1? Can you drop out of x and log in as such? If your eth0 is up, are you able to connect via ssh to edit the xorg.conf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:39 pm 
graysky wrote:
How far into the install did it get before you can't see anything? What happens if you do a alt+ctrl+F1? Can you drop out of x and log in as such? If your eth0 is up, are you able to connect via ssh to edit the xorg.conf?

graysky--

I'm trying CTRL-ALT-F1 just as Step 2(?) setup begins, asking for the root password. Just before that I get a message about Apache not starting because an IP address can't be determined. I found in the last version that, even though you set the box's IP address through MythTV setup, it does not properly set the IP address information. I have to edit the networks file manually with the correct info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:53 pm 
You want "tv" lower case, and there are currently a couple issues with using "expert" and I don't really recommend it unless you have disk driver problems without it.

The older nvidia driver used to scramble the text mode v-consoles for some cards but mostly when people tried to use bootsplash, so try without that too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:32 pm 
tjc wrote:
You want "tv" lower case, and there are currently a couple issues with using "expert" and I don't really recommend it unless you have disk driver problems without it.

The older nvidia driver used to scramble the text mode v-consoles for some cards but mostly when people tried to use bootsplash, so try without that too...

Installing with
Code:
knoppmyth tv
did the trick. I'm now getting video + sound on my Dvico Fusion Gold + card from ATSC OTA with an indoor antenna! This is much farther along than I've ever gotten before--thanks, tjc, for your help!

Now to solve the play for a second, freeze for a second thing with live TV...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
To clarify, you don't need to use knoppmyth with tv. tv works by itself.