View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  

What are your results from doing a fresh R5F27 install on "newer" hardware
Knoppmyth came up fully functional, without doing anything beyond routine configuration 60%  60%  [ 30 ]
Got Knoppmyth fully functional after doing some special configurations (installer options, configuration file editing, other misc help from web docs) 32%  32%  [ 16 ]
Unable to get Knoppmyth functional, but it is at least installed and boots to the desktop (Fluxbox) 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Still unable to get Knoppmyth to even install or boot to desktop 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 50

Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:50 pm 
Several years ago I tried to get Myth working and couldn't, it was outside my competency range. About 9 months ago I got Knoppmyth working fairly easily on the same dated hardware. I experienced Myth for about 6 halcyon months before the HD crashed and I decided to update the hardware for DTV. During the past 3 months of occasional work, I have been unable to get Knoppmyth (or any other Myth distribution) working on the new hardware.

I'm wondering what the aggregate success rate is for people doing fresh installs of R5F27 on newer hardware (you decide what "newer" means).

It seems quieter (or at least less seems to get resolved) on these forums than 9 months ago. Am I imagining that out of my frustration, or do others feel that way also?

Trying to install KnoppMyth R5F27, ECS 671T-M, Celeron 430, 1gig RAM, 320gig SATA Seagate, Samsung SATA SH-S203N DVD drive, Onboard video and audio, DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite, Seasonic S12II-330watt PS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:39 pm 
as you said "Newer" hardware can be a subjective term. I have 3 systems running.
1 MBE/FE and two SBE/FE's

All are AMD processors- Athlon 64, Athlon XP2200+, Duron.

Motherboards are from an MSI K8N neo platinum (newest), to one that is too old for ACPI.

All use Hauppauge cards. and I am only doing SD at this time.

biggest item was ensuring the parts I picked were in someone elses configuration somewhere. the hardest were the Mobo's as I tend to recycle parts, but now 2 are in the list somewhere.

as far as quiet, I would say it is mostly becasue R5F27 has been out since Sept 07, and a lot of folks are up and running with just tweaks these days.

YMMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:50 pm 
4 out of 5 installations 'just worked' (Pentium 3 or 4 machines) and the 5th one 'dropped a stitch' in the installer... a complete re-run of the install worked.

All my R5F27 installations are running like the sunrise, in the hands of 'non-technical' family members, and I'm not hearing any squawks.

Of course the 'unexpected quit' at the program boundaries of live TV is still in this version of Myth, but everyone's learned to live with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:23 pm 
I didn't have any major troubles installing on my systems (see below for specs). One thing I did have to do for surround sound was upgrade ALSA to 1.0.14 to get support for the AD1986A chip.

Other issues I had (with the remote & tuner card) are well documented and easily fixed.

I think it is quieter because a lot of knowledge is being documented now, and searching the forums & wiki will answer most peoples problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:49 pm 
Fresh installs of R5D1 followed by upgrades to R5F27 on the following:
Asus M2NPV-VM (2)
Gigabyte GA-8I945G Pro
ASRock P4i65G

Fresh install of R5D1 on the following (replaced with Gigabyte above, I felt "The Need for (more) Speed" :wink:):
MSI MS-6580 ver 5

ALL of the above utilize IDE drives for the OS and optical. The Gigabyte has SATA drives for additional storage (no fuss, R5F27 picked them right up). No trouble with any of them.

I wonder if your issues stem from the SiS chipset on your ECS 671T-M, have you tried any other boards? Or perhaps a BIOS upgrade?

As far as how quiet the forums have been lately I would have to agree with bigbro and Kirk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:39 pm 
For me everything just worked except for the stuff I screwed-up myself.

My first KM install was smooth until I tried to be clever and restore config files from the failed Fedora Core upgrade I did the day before. Since then I've upgraded, and moved closer to stock with each release.

For R5F27 everything worked fine except my remote, During R5F1 I installed an iMON VFD. The R5F27 upgrade used its remote receiver instead of my MCE remote. Again, not the installer's fault.

As for newer hardware, I find Linux in general installs easier on HW that is 12 months or more past its first release. Interestingly KM's installer did better at detecting and setting up my hardware than any other OS I've run on it. including various Knoppix, and RescueCD Live CD's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:20 am 
I would have voted for the first option with my original build setup. That is two nova-t cards. (See sig. below) I have recently added a dual tuner card, which did take some extra configuration - a nova-t 500. All was documented on the wiki and was detected after I'd downloaded the firmware and turned the card's onboard amplifier.
So I went with the second option.
I also changed my IR receiver with a view to splitting my FE/BE up. Haven't got that one working yet, so back to the keyboard. This is a problem that isn't being solved as I just don't have the time atm.
Otherwise, when I did my last install / upgrade as installs go, it went extremely well.
Looking forward to R6!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:29 am 
I definitely think its quieter on the forums than it used to be. I normally click the view posts since last visit around once per day. There used to be 40-50 new posts each visit, since the last couple of versions it's dropped to around 20-30.

My old system was definitely a 1. my new system (Abit AN-M2HD motherboard) was definitely a 2. (required boot options + manual install + kernel upgrade + newer nvidia driver).

A year ago I probably would have needed lots of help to get it working but my linux skills have improved loads due to knoppmyth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:26 pm 
mad_paddler wrote:
I definitely think its quieter on the forums than it used to be.

I have seen similar mentioned a couple of times, and I've been thinking about it. I think the opposite is true. Last spring Zap2It announced they were shutting down free listings. All summer long there was an INCREASE in traffic as everyone who was hungry for news was checking in. Schedules Direct came into being, and eventually came online. The forum was then abuzz about how to upgrade to svn. Shortly after, R5F27 came out. With the schedules crisis behind us the forum has been returning to 'normal' levels ever since.

I obviously have no stats to back my theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:55 am 
The biggest obstacles that I had to deal with.. getting the on-board Gb LAN chip to work and SATA-only comes up as hda. The people on this forum has been extremely helpful! :D

Hauppauge PVR-350, IR Blaster, Comcast Digital Cable
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/KnoppMyth/
KnoppMyth R5F27 >> R5.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:23 pm 
Back to the original survey question, I'd say the results are pretty definitive. If you can't get KnoppMyth working there's generally either something wrong with your hardware (borked or currently unsupported by Linux), or you're just making a bad assumption somewhere in the configuration.

A more interesting question might be how many folks have had to swap out problem hardware. I know we get regular reports of this, not a lot mind you, but a steady stream of "bad card", "bad memory stick", "BIOS problem", "unsupported video card", "unsupported capture card", ... With DIY systems it's just something you have to expect.