View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:52 pm 
Trying to set up a new R5F27 backend server I get the following error messages looping on startup until the kernel panics:
Quote:
insmod: insmod: error -1 inserting '/modules/aic7xxx.ko': file exists
insmod: insmod: error -1 inserting '/modules/ieee1394.ko': file exists
insmod: insmod: error -1 inserting '/modules/ohci1394.ko': file exists
insmod: insmod: error -1 inserting '/modules/sbp2.ko': file exists
insmod: insmod: error -1 inserting '/modules/usbcore.ko': file exists

I think the aic7xxx has to do with an on-board Adaptec controller I'm not using. The SCSI disks are controlled by an IBM Serveraid controller. This is hw-raid - KnoppMyth sees one disk, sda. HW is an old IBM eserver 342.

Googling on the issue turned up somebody getting similar results with KnoppMyth on VM-ware and with SCSI disks, but no solutions.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, /Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:16 am 
I've since circumvented this error by removing all scsi disks and doing an automatic install on an attached SATA disk.

Today, I got the same error again after adding a second SATA disk. LILO executed properly, Linux started to boot, and at some point in time the boot process went astray again. Booting off the Knoppmyth CD revealed that, although it was attached to port 2 on the controller, the second disk "presented itself" as sda, effectively moving my Knoppmyth system to sdb.
It appears that the bare system boots from the correct disk, but since the Knoppmyth installation is on a new device (sdb), the Knoppmyth boot will fail.

Conclusion:
This error is a result of device names changing after the Knoppmyth install. There appears to be references to device names within the Knoppmyth boot process and there appears to be situations where device names do change during the boot process without letting you know. This is kind of hard to see before a system is booted - especially when the boot fails.

Is this the cause for the discussion of using disk labels instead of device names?

Cheers,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:33 pm 
cahlfors wrote:
Is this the cause for the discussion of using disk labels instead of device names?

Certainly part of it. Labels work even when the device name changes on you for various reasons.