View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:56 pm 
I have a dragon2 system running r5f27 and I built a 2nd system to be a frontend to run off of the dragon2. The new system installed 5.5 just fine, but would not connect to the r5f27 backend because of client protocol differences. So I went to upgrade the dragon2 to 5.5 as well.

I the same point as the initial poster, I get the message "Starting udev hot-plug detection" and the system hangs. Hours of trying every boot install option I could try, removing both HD tuner cards, disabling all on-board devices, and even changing the 7300gs video card for a different Nvidia card ... no luck. Nothing I do will get the system past this point.

I did occasionally get a message of a system panic caused by a segmentation fault by modprobe. Then there was a note of a delay ... I forget off hand how long and then the messages would repeat after the delay. Getting this message seemed to just be luck of timing, but the system would always hang, and never get past this point ... even failsafe would hang at the same point.

I finally had to break down and downgrade the new frontend system back to r5f27 (which was a PITA in it's own). The 5.5 install went flawlessly on the frontend, and r5f27 took days to work out all of the kinks on the same box.

Long story short ... I am very interested in a resolution to this issue and if anyone else has had similar problems with a dragon2 system ... and yes, it is a real dragon2 with no modifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:04 pm 
Just wondering if you have any USB devices. You might try unplugging them. I have never found a work around.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:41 pm 
I unpluged all USB devices, removed all PCI cards except the video card (but even chaged card to different brand), and went into BIOS and diabled all on-board devices (lan, serial, parallel, etc).

Being a dragon2 device purchased from the web I was hoping for some feedback on how to get around this issue and install 5.5 on a dragon2.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know if I find a work-around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:22 pm 
Just wanted to add an update. I tried another R5.5 install on a ASUS M2-VM motherboard. The install worked but the system still hangs on boot with both PVR-350 and a pcHD-5500 or pcHD 3000.

Ubuntu how ever will install and boot without a problem. So I am thinking it must be a problem with the kernel.

Go to page Previous  1, 2