View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:17 am 
In reviewing the procedure to upgrade to R5.5 from R5F27 I am thinking about how I would upgrade my system which has 1MBE, 1SBE, 3 Front ends.

Would I be better off doing:
- Auto upgrade of MBE (which has database)
- Fresh install of all Front ends using the same system name as I had before

Or is there a reason to do an upgrade on the front end?

Note 2 front ends will be upgrading with their existing HW and I already built scripts to re-install the mods I have (e.g. fstab, alsa, xorg, etc).

One of the Front ends is a complete replacement of an older piece of hardware.

I'm really just looking for the simplest path. I'm also concerned that if I auto-upgrade a front end only system that it may muck up the database in some way.

Any input is appreciated.

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:11 pm 
While I didn't get a response to this, I thought it was worthwhile to let others know how I did this.

I have my KM Master Back end running on VMware on one of my main network servers as a Guest application.
I run a generic myth on CentOS4 Slave backend on the host of the vmware environment so that it can access my PVR500 card.
I have three front ends running KM.

I did an auto-upgrade on the Master backend. The beauty of doing it in a VM was I could take a snapshot and practice the upgrade. This was a good thing as I needed to do some tweaking and minor work arounds. I could always go back to my working version if things went bad.

I then had spare drives for the front ends and did fresh installs of 5.5 on them. I used spare drives so I could test and configure without taking my whole myth network down and thus suffer the wrath of my family.

Once I was happy with the results, I updated the vmware MBE, swapped in the new hard drives to all the front ends.

Finally I did an update on the slave backend to bring the recorders back in to the network.

after the network upgrade, I went around and fixed all the little quirks that happen in a set up this complex.

Total actual network outage was less than an hour once I started the network upgrade.

It is also worth noting that when I originally set up each machine, I made careful notes about all deviations and work arounds required. I also kept copies of the main files (e.g. xorg.conf, lircrc, fstab, etc). This was handy when I was updating.

Christ.