View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 am 
I am trying to upgrade my backend box. This box works fine in R5F27. This whole process started when my motherboard died on my frontend and I had to get a new motherboard. I can't run twinview with svhs and dvi with the PCI-express nvidia 7300 LE card under R5F27. I use svhs to for sending the signal to all the other TVs in the house. The old board was a AGP based motherboard.

Backend box has 2 pchdtv HD-3000 cards, and 1 pchdtv HD-5500 card, and a 1gb ethernet card. There is no video card. I am using the onboard video (nvidia 6150) and sound. There is 1DVD writer, 1 IDE drive, and 2 SATA drives. There are 2 1gb memory cards. I have one Raid0 setup for the /tv directory across the 3 drives. Also attached is a wireless LAN adapter. I have added vmalloc=256m to my lilo.conf file (needed or the system runs out of memory).

My frontend box is perfectly happy with 5.5.

The box freezes randomly. Sometimes it freezes during bootup, sometimes it will take 5 hours to freeze up. Removing /usr/sbin/startx does not help. Makes no difference if nothing is running. I have crontab running with empty configurations.

About 5% of the time I get a kernel panic shortly after the box freezes during boot (I don't remember the details).

The box also freezes when running the R5.5 installation from time to time.

There was one time where I had to reset the CMOS. This was after changing the CPU to run slower and then the system froze.

There are no messages anywhere in the /var/log directories (this includes dmesg and syslog).

Any ideas on things I can try to get this working? Software or hardware?

Thanks, Todd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:30 pm 
See the R5.5 Hints thread I think there is a link in there to a "freeze" thread.

Also try running memcheck for a nice long soak. Given the behavior you describe it might be a hardware problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:47 pm 
Well, after struggling with this for 2 weeks, I guess I'm not going to upgrade. Kind of sucks that I lose my ability to watch recordings in other rooms in the house.

memcheck revealed nothing, and all the other freeze posts do not correspond to my problem.

My guess is that the kernel doesn't like my hardware.

I tried MythDora, and that panicked on boot up.

Oh well. Maybe the next release will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:08 pm 
da_king_phelps wrote:
memcheck revealed nothing

You did realize that by "a nice long soak" I meant 2-3 _days_ rather than 2-3 hours right? If you already did this before I suggested it you can ignore the question, but if you only ran it for a few hours, it really takes longer to get conclusive results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:49 pm 
+1 for the mem test... at least a good 20 hours. If it survives for seriously 48 h or so, you can download and run prime95 (linux version is there) on a torture test for a good 24 h as well. This will test your CPU/MB.