View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Hard Drive
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 pm 
Hello I have 5.5 up and running just fine. I would like however to add a 2nd hard drive. I have the hard drive in my computer, and would like to use it for videos only. Could someone walk me through this setup please?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:25 pm 
It's trivial.

Since you only have 11 posts and since you're asking this question, I'll assume you don't know how LINUX handles HDDs. Here is a quick tour:

You're first hdd (ATA) is /dev/hda and your 2nd hdd (ATA) is /dev/hdb. If you have three, the third would be /dev/dhc. If we're talking about SATA drives, change that 'h' to an 's' and you get, /dev/sda for #1, /dev/sdb for #2, etc.

Partitions are number suffixes (windows uses letters whereas LINUX does it this way). So let's say you have two partitions on your 1st HDD, they are: /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2. You get the idea...

Now to your task. First format the drive if you haven't already done so. Do you need help with that? I like using gparted via # apt-get install gparted or you can simply use the gparted livCD). Gparted is very easy to use and very powerful. There are easier ways too, but gparted will give you a nice GUI. If it's already formatted (I'm assuming ext3), simply add an entry in your /etc/fstab to the mountpoint of your choosing, then point mythvideo browser to that mount point.

Example mount point: /myth/video. A mount point can be any dir on your filesystem. Feel free to make your own too.

Make sure that dir is empty, then place this or something similar in your /etc/fstab

Code:
/dev/sdb1 /myth/video ext3 relatime 0 2

The number 2 tells fsck that when it checks your partitions, it'll do that one 2nd in line. Adjust it accordingly.
If the partition isn't /dev/sdb1 you'll obviously adjust it. /dev/hdb1 is used for ATA drives whereas /dev/sdb1 would be for SATA/SCSI drives.

Now just mount it manually the first time (/etc/fstab will automount in the future).

Code:
# mount /myth/video

If you need additional details, go ahead and ask, these forums are pretty newbie-friendly :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:57 pm 
Thanks, for assisting me. I'm new to the world of Linux for sure. I will try to get this going tonight. Looks like you have the steps down, so I can understand it. I'll post a follow up, thanks again!