View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:44 pm 
Previously in R5.5 you could break out to a shell before the install and reconfigure the disk layout to add a mount to vfstab for /myth on another disk.

I have /myth (and most importantly /myth/backup) on a second disk. The upgrade process of R6 isn't finding the backup as a result, of course and thus is actually doing a fresh install.

How can I stop the install and reconfigure the vfstab and mountpoints so that /myth is properly mounted on my second disk??

Thanks!

PS, Cecil...love the new installer! You and the entire KM/LinHES team rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:10 pm 
You may have to do a little surgery to your /etc/fstab file so that it's using a label or the uuid to specify the device. That should let the R6 installer find it.

Hint: running blkid will list the UUIDs for all of your partitions and volumes. E.g.:

Code:
root@black2:~# blkid
/dev/hda1: LABEL="Root" UUID="24f28fc6-717e-4bcd-a5f7-32b959024e26" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/hda2: LABEL="swap1" UUID="4209c845-f495-4c43-8a03-5363dd433153" TYPE="swap"
/dev/mapper/vg-myth: LABEL="myth" UUID="03ec5dd3-45c0-4f95-a363-61ff321a09ff" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:49 pm 
Ok, so a CTL-ALT-F3 escapes out to a shell. I did this while the installer was doing the packages. I then umounted /new_root/myth and remounted it as /dev/sdb1.

Then the installer found my /myth/backup and restored the database like magic. However, upon reboot, the new system still didn't have it mounted properly so I went in and modified the new /etc/fstab to reflect the /dev/sdb1. (and thanks for the tip tjc. Those UUID's threw me for a loop. I am a Solaris admin, not a Linux guy and they confused me.

Now it was seeing all my recordings and the DB is intact!

However...I just broke it. I went into the service menu and started tweaking and did a reboot after. Hanging on boot after Starting Hal -> Using 8 -> mount nfsd. But that is another topic and technically belongs in another forum since I actually got installed.

Ugh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:21 pm 
For general info, the best way to deal with this is before you start.

When upgrading to R6 with multiple drives, fix your /etc/fstab before you start to use either labels or uuid. As in the past, during an upgrade the installer inspects the root partition for this file and uses it to setup mount points. Unfortunately because R6 uses the modern SCSI emulation layer drivers for all hard disks, what used to be /dev/hdb1 is now /dev/sdb1, or possibly /dev/sda1, or /dev/sdc1, or ... Well you get the picture...

Using an unambiguous label or UUID is the best way to solve the problem. For example this is what the fstab entries for my HD and LVM volumes look like using labels:
Code:
LABEL=Root    /           ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
LABEL=myth    /myth       auto  defaults,auto  0  2
LABEL=swap1   none        swap  defaults  0  0

and this is what they'd look like using UUID.
Code:
UUID=24f28fc6-717e-4bcd-a5f7-32b959024e26  /           ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
UUID=03ec5dd3-45c0-4f95-a363-61ff321a09ff  /myth       auto  defaults,auto  0  2
UUID=4209c845-f495-4c43-8a03-5363dd433153  none        swap  defaults  0  0

Note that the only change is to replace the device names with the appropriate LABEL/UUID identifiers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 am 
Since I had a failed/hung install initially due to a bad dvd drive, my original config had been reformated during that failed install. So I was doing a "fresh" upgrade without the original fstab to use. My next upgrade though I will remember to make that change prior to the upgrade. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was able to get this to work. It was really just a question of timing of when to break in and make the mounting changes. R5.5 had a very clear stoping point where it was easy to know when to make the change. R6 does the format, OS install, Myth DB import all in one big gigantic nonstop step I discovered.

Unfortunately though, I ran into video issues for my ATI chipset that I was unable to overcome despite there being ATI drivers built into R6. So I have reverted back to 5.5. I ordered a new Nvidia card though and will be giving R6 a try again once it arrives next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:41 pm 
OBTW - I had to rollback before being able to verify it but using UUID seems to work better than labels.