View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:10 am 
In trying to install from the LinHES RC2 disk (R6.00.08 ) on a Compaq Deskpro EN (PIII 1GHz i815 Chipset) as a test, the initial boot from CD halts at the "Loading UDev uevents" boot step, there is some inital CD activity. at this step, but then stops. This was left for a good 15 minutes to ensure that it wasn't a just a slow return from this.
I tried doing another boot on an i815 based laptop, the same thing occured.
To check it was not a CD problem, booting on 2 BX chipset based machines, they both passed this point.
Trying out a recent Arch ISO showed the same problem on the 2 i815 based machines.
Googling for this particular problem, reported adding pci=conf1, pci=conf2 or pci=nobios to the boot prompt would possibly fix this, as can be seen, as this is not in the hints and tips, this didn't work. :)
Are there any suggestions to work around this?

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:29 pm 
This is a known problem with Arch on the Compaq Deskpro EN. At kernel command line you need to enter disablemodules=iTCO_wdt when booting from the CD.

Later when installed, you need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add disablemodules=iTCO_wdt

Bananis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:54 am 
It works, well until I get to the graphical install, then its just vertical lines on the display.
Trying various combinations of boot parameters (i810, NoX), got me to a very weird display, i could see some kind of text on screen, but if was like there was some real problem with the display timing.
BTW I had the lines problem with Mythbuntu 10.04 but OK with 9.10

So I'll just have to put MB on this box.

Thanks for the info, sorry for the delay :wink:

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject: Exact same problem
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:14 pm 
Hi, I have the exact same problem. Same computer Compaq Deskpro EN. Was going to try and use this as it is in a nice small box. I have less memory and for now will be using the onboard graphics.

BUT I have no idea where to enter these instructions. I am trying to boot from the CD and no command prompt comes up. Early on in the boot process I get a graphics error, it says 312 was sent and is wrong, I can leave it to autoboot in 30 secs or I can view the list of available choices. I chose 60x80 I think and it progressed further, but then later I get the issue at the UDev bit.

I know this must be really basic question, but I don't know Linux. Hope someone can help.

Are these problems insurmountable - do you think I should give up on LINHes and go with Mythbuntu? Do you think that will work OK on such a low spec system?