View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:29 pm 
I've had a functional Knoppmyth box for about two years. It recently lost its mind after a power outage and would not connect to the wireless network, so I decided to rebuild it. After a failed upgrade from the previous release of LinHES (which I upgraded to from the last release of Knoppmyth successfully) (did not pull my previous DB, would not play/record) I decided to nuke it and reinstall from scratch.

So I threw in the install CD, ran a fresh install (giving it the whole of sda, which was previously largely part of an LVM2 config), configured networking (which did not connect), and got to the point where it said it wipe the disk and begin installing. As soon as I said it could, I got the following on the install screen...

LinHES r6.00.09 (Anniversary Edition) , Mythtv svn:21218M
branches/release-0-21-fixes
FAILED

mv_install error

And that's it. Where to I start poking with a sharp stick to see what hurts?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 pm 
Never mind, I figured it out. Well, not why it actually blew up, but my first hunch was right. Once I went poking I found this in the install log:
_ped.diskexception: could not commit to disk /dev/sda

So I fdisked sda, deleted all the partitions, and rebooted. This time, the install went without a hitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:49 am 
Fish, I just received an MV_INSTALL ERROR while trying to install to a USB drive with R6. Where did you find those logs?

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am 
The location escapes me at the moment. You can just do a 'grep -inr "could not commit" /*' as root and that should spit it out. If it does, or you don't want to futz with it, just frisk he device back to nothing and try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm 
Fish, thanks for your help -- my problem looks like it was similar to yours. In the end, I had to not only use cfdisk to delete the existing partitions, but I also had to manually overwrite the first partition.

I am having other problems now, but I am going to continue the discussion over here,where I've been talking to others about the specific hardware I am using.

Thanks again for your help on this one!

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.