View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:21 pm 
Like a good little Linux hippie I installed R6 on a seperate hard drive to test it with my hardware. Everything works wonderfully. Now I would like to move my R5.5 database from the other drive or move the R6 install to the R5.5 drive.
The R5.5 is currently installed on my 160GB drive.
The R6 is installed on a 10GB drive I found in my Parts bin.
What is the best way to make this work? Should I try and do an Upgrade on the 160GB drive instead of moving the Boot partition?
I am mostly caught up on my shows there are just a few episodes that I could live without.

Thanks

MattBatt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 am 
I stumbled across this website that has a few interesting posts including one on migrating your database to a new server. So, if you decide to just keep using the R6 install you already have, you can import your old database info into it.

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migr ... dings.html

I used the process when upgrading to R6 and I believe it went fairly smoothly. The only trick I had was that I hosed my user/group ids on my actual recordings files when copying them from an old hard drive to a new one and had to use chown to fix them up. I could still watch the shows, but I couldn't delete them. This post describes that situation:

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 pm 
Thanks for the info it is indeed useful.
I actually should make it go the other way. Since my R6 install is on the smaller drive I should somehow make the R6 store the videos on the larger drive. OR I should maybe move the install to the other hard drive. The more I think about it the more I think that I should install over top of the R5.5 install. My other option is to do a mythbackup and move all the video files to another drive do a fresh install of R6 and then put the Restore the database and move the video files.

Post subject: just what I needed.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:59 pm 
Thanks segamifo for the database restore link. That was the last piece I was missing after my upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:04 pm 
ok so if your current install isn't working don't do a backup and then try to restore on your new install. It can and did break my new install. DOH!!!! I think i'm going to do a fresh install and just restore the database and not all the other gak.

typing one handed baby asleep in other arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:32 pm 
There are lots of ways to do it.
1. Do upgrade install on you main hard drive.
2. Do fresh install to spare drive. Using a tool like gparted live cd, copy fresh install partition onto old drive. Import recordings info into DB.
3. Do fresh install to spare drive. Leave both drives connected, unmount /myth from fresh install and mount /myth from original drive. Import recordings info into DB.
4. Do a fresh install to a new larger drive. Copy and import recordings info. Keep the old drive for next time you want to play. (it will happen again) :)

I've tried all of these at some point on my mythbox and they all work. Make a good backup first. Moving partitions or mount points will require mods to fstab especially with R6 using uuids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:36 am 
I'm going to bed now I have to be up in like 4 hours I tried restoring using the mythconverge file from my old install and it killed the backend somehow. I'm not sure if my database is corrupted or what, any ideas on how I could check. I'll deal with it tomorrow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:11 pm 
SO 4 days later I have had a chance to fix the problem. Apparently I was really tired and stupid. I had to do myth setup again (alt + S)
DOH!!!!!! :oops: :!:
Now MythTv appears to be working fine and now that R6 supports my Pinnacle PCTV HD card I have two tuners recording two shows at once. My mind is being blown away.

Thanks to all the helpful people on the forums I never would have gotten this far without you guys and gals.