View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:35 am 
Hello! I just recently discovered LinHES/Knoppmyth. I've been looking at several DIY DVR solutions and this one looks like the one for me. I downloaded the .ISO image that is at mysettopbox.tv (I beleive it is LinHES R6) and burned it to a CD, then changed my BIOS to boot from the Optical Drive. Well it kept booting into Windows XP, so I poped the XP disc in and formatted the HD. I then poped in the CD I burned and now all it says is "NTLDR is missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" and it won't boot from the CDRom. I'm not sure what to do. I noticed there are other files on the FTP I only downloaded the .ISO I'm guessing that I may need the other files but I don't know what to do with them. I've looked at several guides to try and get started but it seems like they all assume you were able to burn it to a disc successfully. What am I doing wrong? What should I do to get started? Thanks in advance for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:19 pm 
First off welcome. LinHES is a great distro and I'm sure once you get the hang of Linux, you'll fall in love with it. At to your problem, what you're describing sounds like you can't boot from the CDROM as you mentioned.

Since you can boot from your windows disc, it can't be that your PC doesn't support CDROM booting Which file did you download from the ftp? Was it:
ftp://knoppmyth.net/R6/Current/LinHES_R6.01.00.iso

That is the correct one/you won't need anything else. You can manually nuke your MBR on that machine, but it shouldn't matter.... hmmm??? Sorry, not a lot of help there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:26 pm 
The CDROM is set to be the first drive in my boot order, nothing seems to be happening except that error. When I pop in the WinXP disc it boots from the WinXP disc no problem, but it won't boot from the LinHES disc. I'm wondering if I burned it incorrectly, but I have made two discs, and neither is booting. Do I need to do somthing with the MD5SUM file to make it boot? Whats that file for? I used a free ISO disc burning software for the first disc, and the second I burned on my MacBook. I just right clicked on the ISO and the option "Burn Image to Disc" I feel like I am missing a step of somthing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:39 pm 
The md5sum file is the digital signature more or less for the iso. In other words, when you download the iso and the md5sum file, use an md5sum program to verify that the download has the correct signature to make sure it's 100 % the same as the file on the FTP.

You might give it one more try burning at a slow speed (ie 4x). Sometimes, you can run into problems depending on the quality of your media and burner. I'd first start with verifying the md5sum for the image you downloaded, if it's matches the on in the file, I'd then attempt burning onto different blank media (brand) and also at a slow speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 pm 
If the CD is not bootable, I'm going to hazard a guess here that you have simply burned a CD with the iso image on it as a file. Is this possible?

What software and procedure did you use to burn the CDROM? If you have something like nero, you may have to explicitly tell it to burn an image, and choose *.iso in the file types. I don't use Windows myself, but I recall that it wasn't straightforward to burn disc images, because nero (etc) used proprietary image formats as the default, and wouldn't recognise standard formats unless you forced them to like this.

All you have done so far is wipe windows from your machine (a big step forward, IMO). Next you need to get a properly imaged LinHES CD and install. I'm assuming that you didn't wipe your only windows machine. The iso you downloaded is probably OK if you did what I described in the first paragraph.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm 
Yeah what Mike said. It's a *very* common error for people to burn a CD/DVD with an ISO image as a file in a file system rather than as a raw disk image. I've even seen experienced IT guys do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:31 am 
It is my only Windows machince, but I use my MacBook and my iMac as my primary computers, this is an old Dell I had sitting in a storage room and decided to use. I used Mac OS X to burn the disc, if you right click on an ISO in OSX it gives you the option to burn the ISO to a disc. The ISO file isn't on the disc, but the files in the ISO are on the disc. I didn't make that mistake :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 pm 
Assuming you D'L'd the entire iso, the copy you burned with the Mac was probably good then. This leaves you with the unfortunate possibility of CD <> CD drive incompatibility.
Going back 10+ years, there were drives that couldn't boot. They couldn't even read long file names. Then we got drives that could, but only pressed CDs. Then burners, still only booting pressed CDs. Some drives could read some CDRs, while others couldn't, because of chemistry differences. Then some could boot some CDRs, but not others. Then the whole thing again with CDRWs, and "High-Speed" and "Ultra-Speed".Then DVD-R & DVD-RW vs DVD+R & DVD+RW, then dual layer discs and drives. I won't even get into HDDVD & Blu Ray....
While modern drives are expected to know how to deal with all chemistries of all different types of discs, this support has been added gradually over the past decade. Depending on the age and quality of drive in that Dell, you might have hit an unfortunate pocket of incompatibility.
Example: I've got a couple older drives lying around that will boot pressed CDs and CDRs, but not CDRWs. (and one will still read CDRWs, go figure!)

Long story short: Try a different CD drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:13 pm 
nsdelorme wrote:
I didn't make that mistake :)

If the CD doesn't boot but all the files are there, there are only two possibilities:
1. Not all of the iso was downloaded (check the checksum of the iso)
2. You didn't burn the entire iso to the CD (check the checksum of the CD)

Mike