View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:50 am 
I've just upgraded from R5.5 to R6. The first time I tried, either it hung at the end of the upgrade process, or I was too impatient and rebooted it before it finished. Anyway, did a new upgrade over the aborted one, and that appeared to work OK at least as far as rebooting into myth and watching old recordings went.

However, live TV didn't work, which I tracked down to permissions on /myth. The whole directory and contents, with a few exceptions, was owned by 100:policykit. I have managed to get Live TV and Recording working OK (I think) by using 'chown mythtv:mythtv' on /myth/* and /myth/tv/* but I'm not sure where to go from there. Where else do I need to check permissions and what should I change them to? What about the database?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 am 
The script in this thread may help some: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20254

It doesn't cover the DB but that's pretty straightforward. Everything under /data/srv/mysql (if memory serves) should be owned by the mysql user. (as root: chown -R mysql:mysql /data/srv/mysql).

For anything else ... I generally use the trick of creating an inventory list on known good system and then comparing it. (as root: find / /home /myth -xdev -ls) Save the output to a file and then you can either scan it for obvious problems or diff it against the output of the same command captured before/after. sometimes running the find output it through | sort -k 11 will help to stabilize the order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:41 pm 
I only now got around to upgrading to R6 and the same "policykit" permissions problem happened to me.

It may have been related to the following: I'd been using storage groups and had two locations where recordings could be saved: /myth/tv and /1TB/tv2

The drive that /1TB/tv2 was on somehow didn't make the conversion over to UUIDs during the upgrade. I used tjc's script and thought it all looked right pre-upgrade, but when I checked /etc/fstab post-upgrade, it wasn't there.

I added it with the proper UUID and restarted, but all the folders on the 1TB drive were set as 100:policykit, which also explained why new recording failed like the original post.

Fixing the permissions seems to have helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:25 pm 
I had the same problem after upgrading to R6. See my post here: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20338, to see what I did to do to fix the problem.